General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

immobilizer......or..?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 06:46 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default immobilizer......or..?

I've had my 2004 Land Rover Discovery ES TD5 for 14 years.About 3 years ago the immobilizer gave trouble, bypassed it using the emergency access code. More recently, a year or so ago, it would not start. dash icons lit up as normal but it bleeped for about 30 secs. and a icon (not to be found anywhere in the handbook!) to the left of the tripometer flashed. Disconnected battery for half an hour and on reconnecting it started as normal .....lucky as I was in the bush! The same thing has just happened. but no joy in starting. Battery fully charged, I have not been using the remote on the key for some time (rear doors don't lock with the remote) so I do not lock the vehicle. I'm not mechanically minded, but suspect it's a faulty immobilizer.....but can not use the emergency access code as immobilizer light does not come on.
Has anyone had a similar problem of know the meaning of the icon to the left of the tripometer? Any suggestions would be welcome.