General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Import question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 02:55 AM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cryptzog
JL45, I am doing almost the same exact thing you are doing. I will be transferring back to the states within the next several months, and I am buying an '82-'84 ex-MOD 90 (export version - Left Hand Drive) to take with me. If you find any red flags, I would appreciate a heads-up! Thanks again.

I've not gone the ex-MOD route yet, in fact a buddy who had issues with his Land Rover sold it to me cheap but it has to much rust issues for me deal with it so will sell it off and look at my original goal of an ex-MOD. But before that I did a ton of research and as long as the VIN shows it being 25 or older and the engine is the original type but at least 21 years older then you're fine from what I've seen. You can hit up most 4X4 or Land rover garages that will give you the letter stating its in its original configuration and pay the cash to get a heritage letter from the Heritage center.

Archive Services :: Dating Letter For Your Vehicle - BMIHT Archive Services

Along with the V5 you should be OK. Are you shipping it through the military? I talked to that company as well and they said an ex-MOD wouldn't be an issue.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:54 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

ONE problem with ex-mod that i have read is it does not go by the year built but the year they went in service. Apparently from what i've read is some new LR sat for years before the militarily putt them into service.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:38 AM
7th Gear

Haven't read that before but I doesn't really matter when the military put them in service. What matters is when it was built, that's what the U.S. Customes cares about.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:13 AM
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cryptzog - No, VIN number is not enough to clear you through customs. You will need documentation that shows the date of manufacture OR the date of first registration (put into service date). Military records on this are generally poor at best.

You can get the VIN number and contact Land Rover directly to get a manufacture's certification or you can get what is called a Heritage Certificate, which I have used in the past and got through. I would still go through a bonded importer with an Ex-Mod as crate shipments under bond get a little less scrutiny than single RORO. It just depends on your port and Customs Officer on how many hoops you will have to jump through.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:44 AM
7th Gear

Yep, exactly what I said above.