General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Indy shop in Northern New Jersey for LR3?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 02:54 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indy shop in Northern New Jersey for LR3?

I was hoping for a recommendation for an indy shop in Northern New Jersey for some repairs to GF's 06 LR3. It is currently at the dealer and they have informed her that it basically needs the front suspension components and also the air compressor replaced. I'm sure they'll do a great job but it's out of warranty and the estimate is over $4,500. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. She lives near Newton which is northwestern NJ, but any northern area would be great. Thanks.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:26 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

If she could make it over the GWB there's a really great independent shop in the Bronx on Stillwell Ave. just off the Hutchinson River Parkway. It sounds like the truck will probably be in the shop for more than a day so it might be worth the trip. The shop is called British Auto Works and the guys are factory trained techs who really know there stuff.

Land Rover Repair Service, BMW Repair | Bronx, NY

Old 01-06-2012, 05:58 PM
4wd Low

Thanks Paul. If nothing nearer comes up, that might be possible.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

There are coil spring conversion kits out there for the LR3 so you will no longer have the air ride suspension or the problems that come with it.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:20 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i hope they didn't just throw a part at the suspension compressor. the parts of the compressors are rebuildable. not just throw a new one in. But hey its easier to throw a part at something then read a bulletin. Five bucks says if it was in warrantee it would have gotten the correct parts or else the dealership would have been flagged for an incorrect repair.

Under warrantee you can't just throw a compressor at it. We haven't been able to for five years. In fact LR requires a whole list of stuff that has to be done in order to qualify as a compressor.

but out of warrantee some guys don't like saving customers money and instead like wasting your time.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm with Paul the Bronx LR guys are ace.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:21 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
i hope they didn't just throw a part at the suspension compressor. the parts of the compressors are rebuildable. not just throw a new one in. But hey its easier to throw a part at something then read a bulletin. Five bucks says if it was in warrantee it would have gotten the correct parts or else the dealership would have been flagged for an incorrect repair.

Under warrantee you can't just throw a compressor at it. We haven't been able to for five years. In fact LR requires a whole list of stuff that has to be done in order to qualify as a compressor.

but out of warrantee some guys don't like saving customers money and instead like wasting your time.
The thing about the compressor is that you can hear it running when the truck is stationary. I assumed the system was somehow leaking, causing the compressor to continue running. Hearing it run would indicate the compressor itself is working. Granted, I know nothing about how that suspension works, but it seemed a reasonable assumption.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Team Owner

The SLS (self leveling suspension) in basic terms works like this...there are height sensors at each wheel, they tell the ECU what height the truck is at and if it is level.
The air compressor turns on and off as needed to fill each air bag with air, there are valves so that air only goes to the air bag that needs air.
There are also release valves to let air out when you want it lowered.
So here is a basic list of the components of the SLS system.
Air bag, height sensor, air lines, valve block, compressor.
I dont know what problems you are having other than someone told you you need to replace the entire system in which case I would tell them to shove it.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:37 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Spike555
The SLS (self leveling suspension) in basic terms works like this...there are height sensors at each wheel, they tell the ECU what height the truck is at and if it is level.
The air compressor turns on and off as needed to fill each air bag with air, there are valves so that air only goes to the air bag that needs air.
There are also release valves to let air out when you want it lowered.
So here is a basic list of the components of the SLS system.
Air bag, height sensor, air lines, valve block, compressor.
I dont know what problems you are having other than someone told you you need to replace the entire system in which case I would tell them to shove it.
Thanks for the info. I don't want to pile on the dealer; she purchased it new from them and I'm not trying to imply they are taking advantage. I'm just thinking it's a very expense repair estimate for a 175k truck and it might be time to get a competent independent mechanic to possibly find a way to save some money on these repairs.

I'm pretty sure the front suspension they want to replace are the wear items; ball joints, tie rods, bushings and whatever else comprises "all of it". I had her take it in because the handling was awful; very loose and darting all over at highway speeds. Something was definitely wrong. Since the compressor seemed to be constantly running I thought possibly there was a leak in the system causing the problem. They told her the compressor does need to be replaced but that was the least of her problems. The "whole front end" is basically falling off and it is unsafe to drive. The mechanic said he won't even drive it. Nothing has been decided yet and it is still there. I believe the estimate is $4,700.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Team Owner

Well with 175k on the clock ball joints and tie rods are all common repairs that need to be done.
I think there price is way over the top, whats the book value on the truck? $10,000 maybe?
Spend half of the trucks total value to fix it? I dont think so.