General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Just picked up a 99 discovery, have a few questions!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 10:34 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just picked up a 99 discovery, have a few questions!

I just picked up a 1999 Land Rover Discovery and really love the truck but as I was expecting, most everything doesnt work haha. I was hoping I'd get some advice from people as to what could be causing some of the electrical issues i'm seeing with the truck.. Here is a list of whats wrong:

Cigarette Lighter doesnt work(fuse is fine)
Neither power seat switches work on the console
cruise doesnt work
heated seats dont work
passenger window switch doesnt work
driver back window doesnt work

and then I have some switches on the dash that i'm not sure of their function as I have no manual:

Next and SEL buttons. both do nothing when I press
+ and what looks like a hill- does nothing
- and what looks like a hill- does nothing
road with a T button- lights up but does nothing.

I know alot of these are stupid questions but i'm new to rovers and really wanted to learn how to fix some of these things myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to getting to know everyone on the board!

Rob

Old 05-06-2010, 12:19 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 99 as well. Had mine less than a month.
The road with a "T" is the cruise control switch. When that is pressed, the buttons on the steering wheel will work... hopefully. (mine doesn't)

I have read that the window actuators are adjustable. I have never tried as all of mine work properly.

My cigarette lighter and holder are completely missing - ordered new one for $28 from bputah.com.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Rob, I am assuming you have a D2, not a D1? If so you should check out my service list to help you get your services current. There is a list on a sticky at the top of the Discovery section.
Also check your front drive shaft and see how many grease fittings there are, if only 1, you will want to rebuild or replace it before it fails and takes out your tranny.
I also have a 99 D2 so if you have any questions send me your number and I'll call you.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi. If your cruise control still isn't working after pushing the cruise button on the dash first, check the vacuum lines on the actuator. Directly behind the battery box up in the engine compartment you will see it. It has a couple vacuum hoses going to it and you will see the throttle cable attached to it. Both of my 99 Discos didn't have working cruise when I bought them. Both times this was the problem. The lines just get old and crack. Both times, I was able to just snip off an inch or so off the end and re-connect them. Both times it was a 5 minute fix.

Does the cigarette lighter itself not work? Or the outlet? My lighter died, but the outlet was fine. It would still charge a cell phone. gps, etc. Maybe you just have a bad lighter. They are cheap & available if you really need it.

Download the RAVE manual if you can. There is a manual included. Along with step by step instructions on how to fix pretty much anything in or on your new toy.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:54 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo74

+ and what looks like a hill- does nothing Radio Volume UP?
- and what looks like a hill- does nothing Radio Volume DOWN?
Welcome aboard!

Sounds like you have a DI to me...try those buttons with the radio on to see if they do anything....

...Next start checking your fuses.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

+2 check for vacuum leaks on the cruice control. you can get the rave from the link in mikes signature above. you need to start checking fuses sounds like you have either blown fuses or switches. The RAVE will point out where the fuses are located.

you won't need the drive shaft rebuilt like Mike said because you have a D1. the volume controls are on the console rather than the wheel.

+2 on the 60k service, get your fluids did.