General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Just purchased my first land rover! tons of trouble codes though :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 01:43 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just purchased my first land rover! tons of trouble codes though :(

Very new to the big car world. Ive driven minis and hondas for the longest time and i finally upgraded to a nice big car. everyone tried to talk me out of the land rover because they are known for having tons of trouble but i said screw them im an awesome mechanic i can fix anything. so here are all my codes right now. i just need to know where to start and if anyone has any tips from doing any of these fixes before. thank you so much!

its a 2000 land rover discovery

it runs fine. a little shaky at lower speeds but thats about it

P0130 - Lambda sensor upstream catalyst bank 1 Drive cycle C:Signal implausible.

P0172 - Additive adaptive mixture correction TRA bank 1 Drive cycle B:Signal out of range - below minimum.

P0175 - Mixture adaption factor FRA bank 2 Drive cycle C:Signal out of range - below minimum.

P0208 - Fuel Injector fault - cylinder 8 Drive cycle A:Signal missing.

P0300 - Emission relevant misfire multiple cylinders Drive cycle C:Signal out of range - above maximum.

P0303 - Catalyst damaging misfire cyl 3 Drive cycle C:Signal out of range - above maximum.

P0305 - Catalyst damaging misfire cyl 5 Drive cycle C:Signal out of range - above maximum.

P0307 - Emission relevant misfire cyl 7 Drive cycle C:Signal out of range - above maximum.

P0308 - Catalyst damaging misfire cyl 8 Drive cycle C:Signal out of range - above maximum.

P0446 - Purge canister vent valve functionality fault Drive cycle C:Signal out of range - below minimum.

P0453 - Fuel tank pressure sensor fault Drive cycle C:Signal out of range - above maximum.

P1129 - Upstream oxygen sensors connected incorrectly (swapped) Drive cycle C:Signal implausible.

P1412 - Secondary air system fault bank 1 Drive cycle D:Signal implausible.

P1590 - Rough road signal implausible Drive cycle A:Signal implausible.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Sweet jesus. What's the battery voltage look like. Also try doing some MAF cleaner on it. Clear the codes and see what comes back

Old 09-08-2017, 09:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Holy hell.

yea I'd be looking at wiring. Wiring burned or fraying. Battery voltage for sure. Missing grounds. Something big and encompassing. Hope this truck was cheap. Looks like lots of O2 info raising a fit. Maybe wires burned.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:06 PM
Drifting

I picked it up for 2500. But when it's running the vault is at 13.8 which seems about normal for me. Are there any Common Grounds I should start with looking at?

it only runs very slightly shaky below 30 miles per hour but past that it runs smooth as a button

Old 09-09-2017, 12:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Seems like replacing both front O2 sensors would be a good starting point.

What's the history of your Disco? Garage find? Auction sale? Used car lot? New car lot? Individual seller? Insurance sale?

Presuming not wrecked? Flood vehicle?? Fire??

Old 09-09-2017, 12:55 AM
Drifting

I will do the 2 02 sensors first ! I'm about to be hit by a hurricane so ill have to wait . but yes it was a used car lot. The dealer said it was only one owner, I have A bunch of PM maintenance paperwork on it. And he said he replaced the coil pack on it. I need to check the pressure in the cylinders maybe? What should they be at?

Old 09-09-2017, 01:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

You know, above 150 or somesuch, but the more important thing is that you don't have a couple of cylinders low while the rest look good. And yeah, doing a compression test is a good idea.

Can you check fuel pressure, too? Change the O2s, clean the MAF. Disconnect the battery for half an hour to reset the ECU fuel map that was learned prior to the new O2's, etc.

Oh, and good luck surviving Irma (though she way turn West/SW before Miami, who really knows?!

Old 09-12-2017, 02:14 PM
4wd High
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suspect an ignition related issue, possibly a bad coil pack or two. Start your diagnosis there. Check for spark. A compression test is also a good idea to have a full understanding of what you are working with.

Adam

Old 09-13-2017, 10:41 AM
Drifting

Going to buy the two front o2 sensors today and check my spark. My neighborhood is just not drying out. I got hit pretty hard by irma.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:08 PM
Drifting

So spark plugs 5 and 3 may be bad. When they are screwed all the way in with the plug attached to them I'm still getting random Sparks coming off the bottom of the boot of the plug two spots on the Block. And when I have them unscrewed from the block but plugged in there only sparking if I'm grounding them out on another piece of metal close by. Also cylinder 3 and 5 are reading at 90 PSI. I'm replacing the O2 sensors now

Quick Reply: Just purchased my first land rover! tons of trouble codes though :(