General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Key Programming Nanocom FYI (discovery 2)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2023, 12:17 AM
4wd Low
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Key Programming Nanocom FYI (discovery 2)

Posting this as an FYI to anyone searching looking for some answers.

My only key fob broke, one of the buttons came unsoldered. I was still able to unlock the car luckily and start it. Decided ai wanted to buy a nanocom to adjust some of the security settings in the rover (04 disco 2) and program new keys.

I purchased a nanocom new from blackbox and keys off ebay (make sure it is the correct frequency for your vehicle 315mhz for N.A., 433mhz for EU, Asia.)

I purchase generic ebay keys that looked good https://www.ebay.com/itm/293822851212

these keys programmed well and work well.

These keys DID NOT have the 6 digit key code on the key. This took a little bit to figure out as my understanding is that code is needed to program the key. My understanding is still rough, but I will tell you what worked for me: the linked keys came with two long codes on a sticker. I used the top code, (not the repeating “FFFFF…” bottom code.)

skip the first digit, and use the 2-7 digits of the first code as your 6 digit key code. Someone said that on a forum and it worked for me.

my last tip for programing the keys: when using the nanocom and hit the sync key or the detect key buttons, both of these will trigger a pop up that promps you to ‘press one or more buttons on your key’. This pop up has an “ok” button. You have to press your key buttons while the pop up is open, not after you hit OK. Press your corresponding fob button then hit OK. I know it sounds dumb but that took me a few tries to understand what I was messing up.

watch the youtube video that the nanocom people made on programing keys! Highly recommend the nanocom. Back up keys galore. If anyone is in northern california and needs help just message me.

The following users liked this post:
Roont (10-02-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 12:56 PM
TReK
Received 558 Likes on 484 Posts

Thanks for the info Pete. Could you also post this in the Disco 2 section of this forum? It will get more views and I think be easier to search.