General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Locking Vehicle with Engine Running

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 05:53 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking Vehicle with Engine Running

Hi Everyone!

I’m hoping this isn’t yet another of those weird Land Rover ‘protective’ restrictions and that instead I’m just not finding a setting or something that needs to be changed, but is it not possible to lock the vehicle whilst leaving the engine (and most importantly the air conditioner) running?

I live in New Orleans where we have often brutally hot weather that can heat up the inside of our Range Rover in seconds once the ignition is off. We also have notoriously bad crime with vehicle break-ins being a common target due to the hundred+ thousand tourists in town any given day. That makes keeping the car locked at all times a must.

With this in mind, you could easily guess that we have a common habit here of leaving the car running with the air conditioner on max and the car locked when we run into a shop or such for a moment or two. I also have a pair of dogs that tag along sometimes and, of course, if they’re with me the vehicle has to stay on and actively cooling if ever I have to stop somewhere the way.

On our 2017 Range Rover (L405), trying to lock the doors with the key fob doesn’t work at all if the engine is running.

That’s meant the only option I’ve managed to figure out is the rather cumbersome steps of turning off the car. Exiting and locking it. Then, opening the remote app on my phone and waiting for it to ready itself. Activating the remote climate via the app. And then FINALLY after all this is done, leaving the car to take care of whatever I need to be doing.

That process takes nearly as long or sometimes longer than the time I would normally be out of the running locked vehicle in the first place. There’s also the issue of ‘network connectivity’ errors that prevent the remote climate feature from operating sometimes too.

Am I missing something, here?

Old 06-26-2019, 02:29 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

I found this online...
Start truck.
Roll window down.
Close door.
Lock using the door lock button.
(MAKE SURE YOUR KEYS ARE NOT STILL IN THE TRUCK)
Push the window button to close window.

Bam your truck is locked with the engine running.

For the Discovery 2, there is an option called "bathrobe lock option" that allows the engine to be started and then the vehicle locked with a spare key. This option has to be programmed in the BCU with a testbook or a Nanocom.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:17 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That does seem to work. Weird way to have to go about things but, you’re source is right.