General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

LOUD exhaust leak Discovery II

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 10:24 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LOUD exhaust leak Discovery II

I have a 2004 Discovery II and the other day I was accelerating and all of a sudden POW super loud exhaust leak.
Looked like the gasket between the manifold and the down pipe on the passenger side, so i took it to a local muffler shop to have them change the gasket, but he said the pipe (the down pipe NOT the manifold) is rusted and cracked. Was almost wishing it was the manifold as I have a spare literally in the back of the truck... UGH...
The truck has 80,000 original miles on it, and cats don't need changed at this time, so I'm trying to avoid spending like 500+ dollars on a new Y pipe with both cats, etc.
The flange on the exhaust manifold and the y pipe is so odd, I can't figure any way to do a makeshift fix. The truck runs like garbage and sounds like a tractor without a muffler, so hoping for anyone's ideas on how to get this patched back together, if anyone has ever been in a similar situation I sure would appreciate any feedback on this.
Thanks in advance!
-Murph

Old 12-05-2016, 06:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Murph2121
I have a 2004 Discovery II and the other day I was accelerating and all of a sudden POW super loud exhaust leak.
Looked like the gasket between the manifold and the down pipe on the passenger side, so i took it to a local muffler shop to have them change the gasket, but he said the pipe (the down pipe NOT the manifold) is rusted and cracked. Was almost wishing it was the manifold as I have a spare literally in the back of the truck... UGH...
The truck has 80,000 original miles on it, and cats don't need changed at this time, so I'm trying to avoid spending like 500+ dollars on a new Y pipe with both cats, etc.
The flange on the exhaust manifold and the y pipe is so odd, I can't figure any way to do a makeshift fix. The truck runs like garbage and sounds like a tractor without a muffler, so hoping for anyone's ideas on how to get this patched back together, if anyone has ever been in a similar situation I sure would appreciate any feedback on this.
Thanks in advance!
-Murph
Most Auto Parts places have patch pipes and flexible pipe with clamps but I know exactly where you are talking about and it is a booger to fix. Plus if the pipe is truly rusted, welding to rust isn't going to work, the studs are going to break... badness.

You should get a davico y pipe on fleabay with some new studs, nuts, and gaskets, and get probably half your money back recycling your cats. Way less than 500.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 12-05-2016 at 06:46 PM.