General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lr D1 97 supposedly running on 2wd despite full time 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 10:15 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lr D1 97 supposedly running on 2wd despite full time 4wd

Hi all, I drove my d1 97 on Low climbing a steep hill off road yesterday. I barely use L that it was my 3rd time.
Tried to push L/H lever back right to ease to H and althought I thought I was at halt I felt a little jump of the car that made me aware my car was not at a stand still.
Right after that, my steering wheel feels lighter than ever, my gear lever feels very light and smooth right from 1 to gear 5 plus the drive itself feels very light and the car significantly pulls faster.
Now, while all that feels good as even fuel consumption I know reduced, I feem more scared and suspicious that something serious has happened to my car.
Could anyone please tell me whats gone wrong and what I should do.
I am not in a position to take my lr to a dealer but I do have a mecanic friend that oftten does my repair.
thank you for your advice. I am relatively new to my lr1 97.

Last edited by Zandry; 10-14-2018 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Mistyped words
Old 10-15-2018, 06:45 AM
TReK
Received 761 Likes on 629 Posts

As well as moving backwards and forwards between L ad H, the lever should also move to the left and right between Locked and Unlocked. For regular driving you want to be in H Unlocked. You may have locked the transfer case accidentally which is not good for road driving.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:05 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by mollusc
As well as moving backwards and forwards between L ad H, the lever should also move to the left and right between Locked and Unlocked. For regular driving you want to be in H Unlocked. You may have locked the transfer case accidentally which is not good for road driving.
Thank you Mollusc. Now your answer leads me to a question I was reluctant to ask. I have always known that lr d1 97 is full time 4wd. Do you not mean this is not the case? Does H unlocked mean I can drive it 2wd after all? As I said am new to it and I thank you so much for your answer (Y)

Old 10-15-2018, 07:26 AM
TReK

It is full-time 4WD. When the transfer case is locked, the output power is evenly split between the front and rear axles. When it is unlocked the power can move between them, but each axle still receives power. There is no 2WD setting.
H and L refer to the output gearing ratio, not the power distribution.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:54 AM
4th Gear

It is full-time 4WD. When the transfer case is locked, the output power is evenly split between the front and rear axles. When it is unlocked the power can move between them, but each axle still receives power. There is no 2WD setting.
H and L refer to the output gearing ratio, not the power distribution.
Always appreciated. Thank you.
I have only dared to try engaging the diff lock to find out more and realized that although the engine feels pulling the light for L ngaged does not come on my dashboard. Is this something to worry about?
I have already learnt a very useful info from your replies so thanks a million!

Old 10-15-2018, 08:13 AM
TReK

When the CDL is locked, you should see a "TIE fighter" light on the dashboard (at least on the D2).
https://landroverforums.com/forum/at...e-img_0204.jpg

I don't think there is a light that indicates low range. There should be one -- with an associated chime -- to indicate that you are not in ANY range though. On the D2 it is a dashed circle with the letters TC inside it.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:21 AM
4th Gear
Default Problem solved by instruction from you

When the CDL is locked, you should see a "TIE fighter" light on the dashboard (at least on the D2).
https://landroverforums.com/forum/at...e-img_0204.jpg

I don't think there is a light that indicates low range. There should be one -- with an associated chime -- to indicate that you are not in ANY range though. On the D2 it is a dashed circle with the letters TC inside it.
I thank you so much. I got myself back into my truck. Practicing the instruction you imparted and found out that every thing is now in good shape.
My CDL lever has never been pushed to its full travel and somehow resulted stiffness on the gear and steering as well as heavy drag of the engine.
Knowing to free/unlock the CDL by pulling the lever to the left is what I never saw in any videos I had watched for my self learning.
I used to have a problem with hot hand break but this lr forum here is amazingly helpful.
Thank you so much.
Zandry