General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

LR3 2006 4.4ltr, fuel issues which Land Rover cannot diagnose

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 04:50 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry LR3 2006 4.4ltr, fuel issues which Land Rover cannot diagnose

Jokarover has had similar issues to those following, but as I am a new member, I cannot send PM to ask him what fixed his vehicle. I have been struggling with this issue for 3 months, and it has become expensive and frustrating.

Sorry for the long post which follows, but I think you need all this information to help out! I am having a protracted issue with my LR3, 2006, 4.4ltr, LHD, HSE, 120,000miles. She unfortunately became wet in a recent flood event in my town and drew in water through the fuel filler cap (The car was running and being loaded to exit the site when the bank side slipped away. The insurance won't cover any issues and I am a (now) very broke student). The inside of the vehicle remained largely dry, but she was running until she stalled from water in the fuel.

The water contained a soft fine clay particulate which clogged up the fuel pump went though the filter and into the engine. The injectors were clogged but have been replaced. The fuel tank, pump, filler cap, and evap. lines have been changed with spares from a running 2006 (fitted with a recall tank upgrade -- a straight fit, 2010 tank and pump). The battery box has had no water ingress, and I have removed the transfer case module and ECM to inspect for water ingress in the plugs or module (which there was not). The E-box fan shows as 'off' in the code reader, but a false feed runs up the fan fine. The fan fuse is good.

The problems are these:
  • After an hour or more of driving, or about 20 minutes of idling in hot weather, the vehicle begins to run progressively leaner and eventually stalls.
  • Switching off the key for 10 seconds resets the ECM and the vehicle runs fine for about 10-20 more minutes when the difficulties begin to slowly re-occur.
  • Switching off the vehicle for 10 more seconds will again re-set the problem for another 10-20 minutes.
  • The symptoms occur more quickly in the heat (especially the 35 degree heat we're having at the moment), but last night, with the ambient air at about 18 degrees, she idled for 2 hours without any difficulty then drove home perfectly.
  • Opening the bonnet reduces the time which the issue occurs -- however, she will still begin to fail eventually.
  • She seems to perform without issue much longer with a full tank of fuel -- though this may also be just a corollary, rather than a cause.

When the data streams are observed during the lean times, the short term fuel trims max out at 41.4%+ and the O2 sensors run to around 1.16mA (though Bank 1 is usually more extreme than bank 2 -- despite the fact that Bank 2 records more lean codes than bank 1). There are rarely any fault codes thrown -- even if the vehicle stalls, but occasionally a lean code for banks 1&2 are given, or (very rarely) a misfire code. When the vehicle is running normally, fuel trim figures hover around 2 or 3-4% and bounce around as you might expect, and the O2 sensors report 0.01mA and flick around properly. Sensors progress to the former slowly and progressively, and correlate with the progressive lack of power one expects from a shortage of fuel. The O2 sensors have been disconnected and codes reset then a test run has been made under which the vehicle failed again after about 10 minutes of idling and 25km of driving. From this I conclude that it cannot be O2 data which is being improperly managed by the ECM.

Work done has included:
  • -- Replaced O2 sensors and injectors,
  • -- Blown out fuel lines,
  • -- replaced pump and filter (and fuel tank).
  • -- Cats. inspected and found to be in excellent condition.
  • -- Battery box, Transfer case module, and ECM inspected for water damage.
  • -- Inlet manifold checked for leaks; the evap. system has been isolated from the engine to eliminate that.
  • -- Fuel tank cap has been removed to check for vacuum issues and replacement fitted.
  • -- Engine ECM has been re-mapped to avoid stored data glitches, vehicle taken to Land Rover (who have been unable to diagnose the fault but charged me $1000 for the privilege).
  • -- Inside of vehicle checked for water ingress and the passenger (LHD) carpets removed to dry and clean out wiring in the sill.
  • -- Battery voltage checked: good and consistent,
  • -- Fuel pump electrical-feed plugs under front wheelwell checked for water/dirt ingress.
  • -- Tank has been inspected for floating bags/plastic,
  • -- Fuel pump removed and bench tested,
  • -- O2 sensors disconnected for trial run,
  • -- Smoke test carried out,
  • -- E-box fan/fuse tested,
  • -- Fuel rail pressure checked (80psi)
No existing fault codes show; all historical codes have been eliminated and all systems operate normally. Vehicle ECM has been hard reset prior and after ECM hot-soak.

When the vehicle is just started or cold, it runs perfectly and without issue. However, very, very occasionally (only twice ever), there is some hesitation to start which feels like a lack of fuel too (the key cycle does not start the vehicle but there is a faint try to start. Starting the car is possible on the second cycle).

Further information:
The MAF and MAP sensors record appropriately and within parameters; the coolant temp. is about 95, and the control module temp. between 49-62C; fuel rail temp fluctuates around 50-60C.

Fuel pressure when running well is 80psi (over the 65psi required), but I have not yet run the pressure gauge while the vehicle has been running lean, as this at first only happened on long runs. The new O2 sensors seem to have contributed to a faster onset of symptoms.

When the vehicle begins to show symptoms, it first presents as a lack of power on hills or accelerating, a general hesitation and lack of responsiveness, and later as a miss; when the vehicle becomes severely affected, there is no acceleration and maintenance of speed is not possible, there is then a lot of coughing and bumbling and the vehicle cuts out. Switching off the key and waiting 10 seconds starts the car as normal and no symptoms present.

I am guessing that it is a temperature-related sensor fail, but I do not know what sensor could cause the difficulties as the sensors involved in fuel regulation have been checked or changed: the MAP and MAF report fine throughout, the O2 sensors have been replaced, and the temperature sensors report properly and accurately. Clearly the ECM is being reset and the learned data is being deleted by switching off the key, but what information is the ECM getting which causes this issue?

Any suggestions, people?
I have been advised to:
  • -- check the ECM fan (works fine, but is shown as 'off' by the code reader,
  • -- and to check the fuel pressure during the lean periods which requires the pressure gauge to be continually inline. This would only indicate a physical lack of fuel to the engine, not the reason for the lack of fuel (which, I am assuming would also be ECM?)