General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

LT230SE mystery of bearing pieces found

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 09:48 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by kyzur
Which one did you get Tom and would you get the same again?
I got this one:
Torin Roll Under Transmission Jack — 1000-Lb. Capacity | Jacks | Northern Tool + Equipment

I was in a hurry, otherwise I'd have looked for a higher quality used on Craigslist. It's a pretty decent jack, though there is a bit of slop in the linkage for the tilt controls. I think I can make some modifications to correct it, but haven't looked real closely.
I also need to trim some off the the Rover adapter plate I made as it hits the forward/back tilt ****.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:49 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew there were roller vs. ball bearing and the front & rear were roller. Someone posted earlier that pcs looked like roller bearing pcs (which I was kinda guessing too) and that would mean either the front or rear. I was saying that the roller bearing pics I saw sold as single (rear/front) or in kit did not look like pic posted here and that made me wonder if pic posted here was a general roller bearing pic or an actual one for this xfer case and that would make me suspect places I window shopped at had erroneous pics or not correct roller bearings. Again, I would be open to suggestions on where to shop for bearings and seals.

I did find this tran jack at Harbor Frt for $130 which is similar to the Torin but 800# and corner grip things look a little shorter. Probably not quite the quality of Torin but is a lot cheaper. Just not sure I can justify expense and figuring would lose $50 on resell. Surprisingly all the used I've seen so far were almost same price as new OR MORE!! Yeah, a few actually listed for more than what I can find exact same brand/model for new!! Here is link to the Harbor one:

Transmission Jack - 800 Lb. Capacity

Totally agree on removing cover plate near drain plug instead of multiple flushings. hindsight is 20/20, however I suspect some pcs can get stuck higher too. I was surprised that the bearing pcs were magnetic as I thought they would be a high grade stainless. I have a some super powerful magnets. The kind that can actually injure you when they jump to metal because of speed and strength or magnetism. I was thinking to put on on the inspection plate near drain. It would take a tornado to remove it and even then would have to be a 5. The thought bouncing around in my head is whether big pcs that do make it to bottom would be likely to rise up under normal conditions or would they be inclined to remain at bottom. Certainly small scrapings would flow around with the oil, but those should attach to the drain plug magnet once they pass by.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:49 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Well, not knowing what bearings you were looking at it, or what they were describing, I can't say if they were right or wrong. But I can assure you the front and rear output bearings are caged ball bearing units. Everything else are tapered roller.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Drifting

Ok, lets try this question again.
Is the first picture (the top picture) in post #16 of this thread an actual picture of the exact bearing for use in the LT230SE transfer case.
Yes, I know it is a ball bearing, yes I know there are 2 types in the xfer case roller and ball (i have stated that numerous times), and yes i know the front and rear are ball bearings. My question is above.

On a separate issue about bearings, I would still be open to suggestions on who to get bearings and seals from. I have been unable to find any info anywhere also to determine if the front/rear roller bearing or any of the bearinsg are common enough to find at local bearing shops or if anyone had experience with that. Even being off a mm in actual measurement could make a difference even if the spec sheet claims otherwise for a bearing purchased.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you want to be sure you get the right bearings and seals get them from the dealer,atlantic british, or rovers north.
Until you take the tbox apart you really don't know what else is damaged or what other bearings you'll need.
If you aleady have a replacement tbox, chances are you'll never need to rebuild the one you removed.
No need to waste money, spend it somewhere else.
Your tbox failed because it had no oil in it.
Another component to inspect when you have the t box off is the transmission output/tbox input shaft splines.
If the tbox really had no oil in it there is a good chance the splines are worn.

Cheers

Old 12-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Drifting

Lucky for me I got the splines with the used case I picked up. Kinda and "all inclusive" xfer case since he had essentially bought the whole line from torque converter to driveshafts and only needed the tranny. That is very good point on the splines though. If splines were bad would there be any symptoms or noise right now?
I'll check roversnorth & atlantic british. I do keep them as link for other parts. I'm just trying to be as prepared as possible in case used case has issues and also may decide to rebuild original with all new seals & bearings and throw back in or replace just the bad bearing and throw back in or sell it. It all depends on how used case operates and how bad the one I pull out looks upon tearing it apart. I will start with just front and rear bearing and of course removing inspection plates.
Anybody have any experience with parts from Ashcroft (ashkroft?) in UK? How long it took to get parts and quality? They must rebuild hundreds of these a year so I would guess their bearings and seals would be excellent. Unfortunately not all places specify brand of bearings in kit.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Drifting

BTW, for anyone reading this to gain knowledge about an lt230, Ashcroft site has video and info on these. Even a fast speed rebuild on bench video. I have heard you can even call them and get free help on phone as the owners are super nice and helpful even if they won't make any money on you. Just what I heard anyway. Not sure if they have international tool free number though.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Most of the bearings used in diff and tbox are Timiken brand.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by kyzur
Ok, lets try this question again.
Is the first picture (the top picture) in post #16 of this thread an actual picture of the exact bearing for use in the LT230SE transfer case.
Yes. It's OEM p/n STC1130: STC1130 LandRover Discovery Transfer Box Output Bearing | eBay This is the output (front and rear) shaft bearing. Tom listed this back on post #19. He also listed the non-OEM p/n 6207 which I've read is now superseded by 207, at least by Timken (other manufacturers still use 6207 as Tom listed in post #19).

Last edited by Banzai Jimmy; 12-18-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:00 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Quick Reply: LT230SE mystery of bearing pieces found