General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

M & S lights flashing, D has Line through it, and won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 11:11 PM
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default M & S lights flashing, D has Line through it, and won't turn over

New to this forum, but seem to have a unique twist to the typical M&S flashing light problem. The car initially would turn over but didn't have enough juice to start. Attempted to jump it, but didn't start and since the car has been completely disabled. Changed the battery, but still nothing works (key locks, radio, ignition, etc.) including the shifter. The M & S lights are flashing, the D has a line through it, and the alarm light isn't lit. I can't get anything checked because it's up the canyon and without being able to shift, I can't tow it down the mountain. Trying to troubleshoot the problem, any ideas?

Old 08-15-2016, 12:10 AM
Overlanding

hi brandmanb2, im fairly new to this forum as well but there is alot of knowledble people on here. I am not a mechanic by trade, but have learned alot from trying most repairs my self. (and reading this fourm and learning from other peoples projects and problems) i recently purchased a autel machine that reads ALL the codes and gives you ability to reset adaptions and all kinds of things. i think if your able to find someone with one of these or any other similar machines and read the fault codes you would have a much better chance repairing out on a trail. Not sure where you are, but if your near Los Angeles i would come read them for you.

Also post year or model may help the guys here to help you easier.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:22 AM
4th Gear

Thanks Brandon, but I'm in UT. I have a 2003 Disco.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:25 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you ever solve the problem I have the same issue please reply asap

Originally Posted by branmanb2
Thanks Brandon, but I'm in UT. I have a 2003 Disco.

I am having the same issue I need help big time did u ever solve it

Old 08-12-2017, 07:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by 03rover
I am having the same issue I need help big time did u ever solve it
This will let you tow or push it.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...-switch-84870/

Old 08-13-2017, 03:30 PM
4wd Low
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by No Doubt
i need to get ahold of the guy with the original post to see what fixed it the security light won't even blink and it's my daily no way I'm taking it to a dealership my issue is I feel as though it's the security system locking me out any way to disconnect it

Old 08-13-2017, 04:11 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts
Old 08-13-2017, 04:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle

i need to get ahold of the guy with the original post to see what fixed it the security light won't even blink and it's my daily no way I'm taking it to a dealership my issue is I feel as though it's the security system locking me out any way to disconnect it
Yes. A "Hawkeye" OBD2 tool can program the BCU to show that there is no alarm on your Rover.

Likewise, your local Rover dealership has a "Testbook" tool that can do the same.

There are two other ways, probably more, to turn off the "disable" status while still keeping your alarm system.

Each Rover has an "EKA" code that can be entered by turning the key in the driver's door.

Many North American Rovers use the same "EKA" code of 1515 if you have to guess at it (might be in your Owner's Manual if you don't want to guess, or a phone call to Rover with your VIN might elicit your EKA).

1 way is to turn your key in the driver's door to the left/unlock position and hold it for 5 seconds. If you get a beep or the red alarm light inside does something different, then you can enter your EKA.

Turn your key in the driver's door lock to the unlock/left position then back to the center upright position time to enter a 1.

Now turn that key to the LOCK/Right position, then back to the center upright position 5 times to enter a 5.

Turn your key in the driver's door lock to the unlock/left position then back to the center upright position time to enter a 1.

Now turn that key to the LOCK/Right position, then back to the center upright position 5 times to enter a 5.

You've now entered "1515" into your BCU. Hopefully, that's your code to disarm your alarm.

Finally, turn your key 1 time to the unlock, a double bleep will indicate that the code has been entered correctly. A single bleep indicates that the code has been entered incorrectly.

Then, before opening the door, wait 5 minutes for the alarm and immobiliser to be de-activated. During the 5 minute wait for the alarm and immobiliser to be de-activated, the alarm indicator LED in the instrument pack continues to flash (one flash every 2 seconds). DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR OR ATTEMPT TO ENTER THE CAR until the full delay period has elapsed.

When the 5 minute wait has elapsed, the alarm indicator LED stops flashing. Immediately open the door, insert the key in the ignition switch and turn the switch to position II. Do this and if the EKA code is correct your Rover will run normally from now until you accidentally set off your alarm again someday.

Well, if those instructions are correct. And if "1515" is your code. And if your BCU actually behaves the way the manual says it will, etc.

Otherwise, back to the Hawkeye or Testbook tool for you!

Last edited by No Doubt; 08-13-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:18 PM
4wd Low
Default but

Originally Posted by No Doubt
Yes. A "Hawkeye" OBD2 tool can program the BCU to show that there is no alarm on your Rover.

Likewise, your local Rover dealership has a "Testbook" tool that can do the same.

There are two other ways, probably more, to turn off the "disable" status while still keeping your alarm system.

even with the

Each Rover has an "EKA" code that can be entered by turning the key in the driver's door.

Many North American Rovers use the same "EKA" code of 1515 if you have to guess at it (might be in your Owner's Manual if you don't want to guess, or a phone call to Rover with your VIN might elicit your EKA).

1 way is to turn your key in the driver's door to the left/unlock position and hold it for 5 seconds. If you get a beep or the red alarm light inside does something different, then you can enter your EKA.

You've now entered "1515" into your BCU. Hopefully, that's your code to disarm your alarm.

Finally, turn your key 1 time to the unlock, a double bleep will indicate that the code has been entered correctly. A single bleep indicates that the code has been entered incorrectly.

Then, before opening the door, wait 5 minutes for the alarm and immobiliser to be de-activated. During the 5 minute wait for the alarm and immobiliser to be de-activated, the alarm indicator LED in the instrument pack continues to flash (one flash every 2 seconds). DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR OR ATTEMPT TO ENTER THE CAR until the full delay period has elapsed.

When the 5 minute wait has elapsed, the alarm indicator LED stops flashing. Immediately open the door, insert the key in the ignition switch and turn the switch to position II. Do this and if the EKA code is correct your Rover will run normally from now until you accidentally set off your alarm again someday.

Well, if those instructions are correct. And if "1515" is your code. And if your BCU actually behaves the way the manual says it will, etc.

Otherwise, back to the Hawkeye or Testbook tool for you!
Even though the alarm led isn't aluminating at all while the dash lights are flashing m and s and a d with a line through it it can still be in decative mode thank you for the information and quick reply I'm just trying to learn these systems it's my first Rover and a head ache day two lol I've worked on everything under the moon but rovers and it's driving me nuts already lol

Old 08-13-2017, 06:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Talking

Even though the alarm led isn't aluminating at all while the dash lights are flashing m and s and a d with a line through it it can still be in decative mode thank you for the information and quick reply I'm just trying to learn these systems it's my first Rover and a head ache day two lol I've worked on everything under the moon but rovers and it's driving me nuts already lol
Might work. Might not. Free to try, though. I've just had my 1 Rover since mid-June so what do I know, anyway?!

I'm building mine up for my daughter. She loves to 4x4 and turns 16 in half a year so I still have a little time to get mine "right."

I've set off that alarm and somehow disarmed it. I've gotten the "3 Amigos" and figured out how to fix that issue. I've gotten the "Limp Home" mode and figured out how to fix that.

Oh, and the motor was blown when I bought the thing so I had to unbolt the oil sump, reach up into the muck, and replace the rod bearings (which turned out to be simple to do and just cost me $38 for the bearings plus new oil to refill her).

Anyway, my kids love off-roading in this beast so that makes it fun!

Quick Reply: M & S lights flashing, D has Line through it, and won't turn over