General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

milky coolant,not milky in oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 01:42 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question milky coolant,not milky in oil pan

Ok i Made a deal with the devil,I bought an 03 Disco ll. I know all the rap about the engines,but it has 119k and i figure i bought it right..so i was told it needed a water pump,and i could see the drip front center on the ground.made sense to me as the engine oil was dirty but not milky in any way..I trailer it home,got under it to see what i was in for as far as changing the water pump.I noticed oil allover both sides of the engine,starting from the valve covers(i believe)..but here is the scary part,i opened the coolant res cap and noticed milky badness...I again pulled the dip stick to see if it was milky,and no its not..my thoughts are that the yahoo previous owner put some kind of stop leak in the coolant to stop the leak..I work on heave equipment for a living and anytime ive had a head gasket or cracked head the cross fluid contamination goes both ways..Now i have built Jeeps all my life,and moved into early broncos,and now i have a quest for Discos..so these beast are foreign to me..maybe you guys will say ahh the old oil in the coolant res bottle problem..I hope not,I hope its the other evil STOP LEAK..and it looks like the water pump is no big deal to fix,but the valve covers look like a pain in the ****. any productive input on this would be outstanding...03 disco ll 4.6 that falls within the devils child vin number range...thank you

Old 06-11-2011, 02:27 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

if its browny milk then its oil.

if its not then you are ok.

if you are not sure change the coolant and add oil dye to the motor. if the motor is shot you will see the dye in the coolant.

if it is the stop leak then pull every hose and clean them out with a hose and add some coolant cleaner and make sure to replace the thermostat to get the engine clean completely out.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:28 PM
TReK

By the way what everyone needs to understand that the vin range for the bad dowels to the oil pump are one time things. In other words if they didn't fail within 50k they were not going to fail at all. If they do fail its owner maintenance or lack there of.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The water pump is a hour job.
The valve covers, well, 5 min.
Buy a 8mm 12 point socket and tighten the bolts that you can reach, that cures the leak 95% of the time.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:37 PM
4wd Low

thank you much, i did the water pump,it was about as simple as it gets.crazy thing is i noticed the coolant draining and what ever is in it,is not blending with the green antifreeze,its like whip creme floating on the coolant..95% of what came out of hoses and engine was just coolant,good ol green coolant..the oily crap is light tan,like condensate you find inside a oil cap..the oil in the pan is normal..i will try the dye thing tomorrow. Rovin4life,you said "if the motor is shot" if i see dye in the coolant wouldnt it mean head gasket or head itself? just asking because these machines are your field of expertise,and my experience on other machines has taught me head gasket or head.Spike555 i will try the tighten trick tomorrow as well,whoda thunk!? haha. and by the way i met the three amigos today....thats next on the list..thank you both for the advice and thoughts..cheers

Old 06-11-2011, 10:34 PM
4wd Low

BTW spike555 Im from Fremont Michigan,I now live in savannah Ga..Ive probably Seen you out on the trails up there..

Old 06-12-2011, 08:00 AM
TReK

these have slip liners its convievable they sleeves could start to slip. but the coolant passages are on the outside and the oil is on the inside ones.

but its also possible the intake gasket might be slipping but it was allowing coolant into the oil.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:49 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by bentjeep67
BTW spike555 Im from Fremont Michigan,I now live in savannah Ga..Ive probably Seen you out on the trails up there..
Did you used to work at Gerber like everyone else in Fremont? lol
How long have you been in GA?
We have other members in Savannah, his name is Savannah Rover and there are more.
I wheel around White Cloud once and awhile.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:34 PM
4wd Low

Haha, No i worked in muskegon as a buyer for the Betten auto group..quit after 11 years to move to south florida and patch things up with my former fiance..double haha..ended up transporting yachts up and down the east coast..then the economy tanked,,Now im in JOJA..coming back to Michigan July 14th then moving to seattle..Im really hoping i did not make a huge mistake buying this rover..I will see shortly as its about a 1200 mile ride up there..yeee haahh..

Old 06-12-2011, 06:43 PM
4wd Low

Thanks Rovin for life,I will read up on the sleeves,..Is it feasible to put a 4.0 in this? or is that like rewiring the shuttle? This truck might be the one i put a 4 BT cummins in..i did the dye test but i have yet to see it in the coolant,and the oil is still coolant free..i have my fingers crossed it was stop leak sludge..we will find out im sure..again thank you for your help

Quick Reply: milky coolant,not milky in oil pan