General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Motor lacks power, rough, despite new sparks/O2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 05:55 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Motor lacks power, rough, despite new sparks/O2 sensors

Hi all - I have inherited a 2003 Land Rover Discovery 2, it's done 300 000km.

She has a host of problems, I am slowly trying to work my way through them to get the car up and running. The first things I have repaired are the brakes (master cylinder, pads) etc.

Next I want to get the engine running a bit more smoothly, it is rough as hell, lacks power, and is using 20 - 25 litres of fuel per 100km!!!

According the last mechanic who looked at it, there was a fault code logged for the O2 sensors. So I replaced them, and all the sparks which were covered in black soot. So I suspected the fuel mix was all wrong. Also a significant amount of oil leaks. So anyway after replacing the sparks and the O2 sensors I essentially noticed absolutely no difference in how the car runs.

Just wondering if anyone could provide some general guidance here - do I have to reset the cars computer to get the new O2 sensors going?

Or could the poor engine performance and fuel economy be related to other issues? Like oil leaks/engine troubles.

Here is a list of issues the last mechanic who looked at the car identified:
5.DRAG LINK BALL JOINTS HAVE CLEARANCE
6.TRACK ROD BALL JOINTS HAVE MOVEMENT + BOOTS SPLIT
7.FRONT AXLE UPPER AND LOWER BALL JOINTS NEED REPLACING
8.FAULT CODES LOGGED FOR THE ABS SHUTTLE VALVE
9.FAULT CODES LOGGED FOR POSITION SWITCH MONITORING
10.FAULT CODES LOGGED FOR OXYGEN SENSORS
11.AIR FILTER SEAL IS DAMAGED AND FILTER DIRTY
12.FRONT TYRES NEED REPLACING, LEFT FRONT TYRES HAS LEAK
13.REAR DIFF PINION SEAL IS LEAKING
14.MAJOR ENGINE OIL LEAKS!!! SUMP GASKET, FRONT CRANK SEAL, TIMING COVER GASKETS, MANIFOLD END
SEALS AND VALLEY GASKET, ROCKER COVER GASKETS... SUSPECT THE CRANK CASE BREATHING SYSTEM IS
BLOCKED.
15.VALVE TRAIN IS NOISEY, EXPECT TO FIND WORN CAM/LIFTER
IF DISMANTLED
16.EXHAUST SYSTEM BADLY DAMAGED NEAR THE LEFT REAR WHEEL
17.EAS COMPRESSOR IS NOISY
18.RIGHT REAR AIR BAG IS LEAKING
19.RADIATOR END TANK IS CRACKED AND LEAKING

Should I even bother with this thing? Or just scrap it?

Old 10-12-2021, 06:34 AM
TReK
Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts

There's a D2 sub-forum here, with a sticky for recommended service and maintenance at the top of it. Start by reading through that list. You probably have vacuum leaks and could do with replacing your coil packs, plug leads, and spark plugs as a starting point.

Old 10-12-2021, 03:25 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by mollusc
There's a D2 sub-forum here, with a sticky for recommended service and maintenance at the top of it. Start by reading through that list. You probably have vacuum leaks and could do with replacing your coil packs, plug leads, and spark plugs as a starting point.
thanks mate… yeah I feel like it has a host of problems and I’ve already spent a bit of money. Can’t quite work out whether to continue or just scrap it.

Old 10-12-2021, 03:45 PM
TReK

Depending on where you are located, getting parts to address some of the issues you list could get quite expensive. There are some improvements to the stock systems that forum members have developed over time (e.g. the PCV mod, which helps resolve crankcase breather blockages) but those are relatively minor things compared with having to buy new air bags (or converting to coil springs) and, by the sounds of it, some significant work to replace several gaskets.
The biggest issue that I see on your list is the upper and lower ball joints. If you search the D2 forum you'll see that this is apparently a nightmare job. That one alone might convince you that the truck is beyond the amount of effort (and money) that you're willing to put into it.

Old 10-12-2021, 04:37 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by mollusc
Depending on where you are located, getting parts to address some of the issues you list could get quite expensive. There are some improvements to the stock systems that forum members have developed over time (e.g. the PCV mod, which helps resolve crankcase breather blockages) but those are relatively minor things compared with having to buy new air bags (or converting to coil springs) and, by the sounds of it, some significant work to replace several gaskets.
The biggest issue that I see on your list is the upper and lower ball joints. If you search the D2 forum you'll see that this is apparently a nightmare job. That one alone might convince you that the truck is beyond the amount of effort (and money) that you're willing to put into it.
Thanks...!

I am new here... I can't seem to find the subthread you mentioned earlier? doesn't look like its stuck at the top of the discovery 2 forum?

Old 10-13-2021, 06:23 AM
TReK
Old 12-09-2021, 02:20 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You probably have vacuum leaks and could do with replacing your coil packs, plug leads, and spark plugs as a starting point.
Nox Vidmate VLC

Last edited by tydenioluwa; 12-09-2021 at 04:43 AM.