General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My lifters are noisy only when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 08:16 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My lifters are noisy only when accelerating

Actually it is just one lifter on the front driver side. I'm running Rotella 15W-40. It ticks when it's first started up and on acceleration. It quiets down after warming up but, I can still hear it chattering a little on acceleration. Seems in my past history it has been when at idle and when not accelerating. (Not with this truck)

Any ideas?

Tex

Old 11-13-2015, 08:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Have you used a stethoscope or screwdriver and listened to that area to narrow down where it is coming from? Once narrowed down pull valve cover and run engine to see if it is getting oil. If not, pull manifold and replace lifters in full sets.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:05 AM
Rock Crawling

Broom handle...I'm tight on time full set lifter replacement right now. Would feel better if I knew what the issue is. Might be able to see the lifter through the oil fill hole come to think of it...

Old 11-13-2015, 10:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Might want to remove the rocker box and take a look at your rockers anyways. Costs nothing.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:57 PM
Rock Crawling

thats what i decided to do about 2 hrs ago. Ill post back when i get it off. Thanks....

Old 11-13-2015, 11:28 PM
Camel Trophy

Your looking for missing buttons on the rockers. They contact the valve stem. You can take the entire rocker assembly off the head. Your also looking for blocked oil passages in the pushrod cups on the rockers. Your motor has high mileage so I'd suppose the pushrods are mushroom shaped instead of full ball end. That will give almost a slapping sound (tick). Wouldn't mind a pic of what you see.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:19 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Walking cam bearings are not unheard of either on these.which would result in a loss of oil pressure at the top end.

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Your looking for missing buttons on the rockers. They contact the valve stem. You can take the entire rocker assembly off the head. Your also looking for blocked oil passages in the pushrod cups on the rockers. Your motor has high mileage so I'd suppose the pushrods are mushroom shaped instead of full ball end. That will give almost a slapping sound (tick). Wouldn't mind a pic of what you see.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:57 AM
Camel Trophy

Easy does it drow. Anything is possible with 245k, that's advanced troubleshooting though for a engine noob. I prefer to start folks with the easy common stuff out of the gate and then get more complicated as they report back they're findings. Wrench confidence breeds success.......

Old 11-14-2015, 10:50 PM
Rock Crawling

No need to slow Drow down, I slow myself down when it comes to getting that far into an engine. (For my comfort zone)

I am sure I am going to regret typing this but, keep in mind that I am very tight on time right now and until Monday am in the sticks in East Texas.

I poured 6 ounces of Seafoam into the gas last night before deciding to get into the engine. My plan was to drive it briefly over to a salvage yard to pick up a couple of lifters off a LR and either way change the oil before motoring around anymore

There are no foreign part stores here and no way to get any rockers for two days. I ended up pulling the entire assembly off the right bank of a LR at the yard. However while driving around the thing quieted down to almost no sound at all. I am thinking of changing the oil and getting back to Houston before I open it up.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:23 AM
Rock Crawling

Bloody hell! I just couldn't stop myself. I have no idea what I am looking for..
My lifters are noisy only when accelerating-img_20151115_101725_470.jpg

My lifters are noisy only when accelerating-img_20151115_101739_563.jpg

My lifters are noisy only when accelerating-img_20151115_101744_377.jpg

Quick Reply: My lifters are noisy only when accelerating