General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My lifters are noisy only when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 10:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First thing off...after I pulled the rocker assembly off, I noticed that the second pushrod from the front of the engine was 3 inches down farther than the rest. Unfortunately I don't know if I dislodged it when I pulled the assembly or if it was already that way...so what next..??

Old 11-15-2015, 10:53 AM
Rock Crawling

Okay, I just figured out what the mushroom head thing meant. The one that sounded like it was tapping [As far as I could tell with the cover on ] is definatley more worn or mushroomed than the others. Should I replace all of the ones that look mushroomed or only if they look real bad??

Old 11-15-2015, 10:55 AM
Rock Crawling

Is there anything to do about cleaning the rockers while it's still assembled? or just leave it...?

Old 11-15-2015, 10:57 AM
Rock Crawling

There is build up around the oil inlets but they don't look blocked. Should I do anything to the ports like forced air or cleaner?
The pushrods did have buildup on them that comes off pretty easy....

Old 11-15-2015, 11:38 AM
Rock Crawling

The one at the top is mine and the one on bottom is the one I pulled out at the salvage yesterday. The buttons are there on both but the salvage yard one is def in better shape.

My lifters are noisy only when accelerating-img_20151115_113252_155.jpg

Old 11-15-2015, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

One from salvage yard looks worse more black burned up oil

You can disassemble the shaft and clean it all on a bench grinder with a fine wire wheel or brass wire wheel

Make sure you keep everything in order how it came off the shaft, some parts may be stuck on the crud on the shaft but they will come apart with some help, take good close up pics to aide in reassembly and use clean oil for reassembly lube

If one push rod looks bad buy a set they are cheap any rover vendor or even amazon , while u wait on them I would pull the upper plenum and tear down and clean the other side, along with the throttle body , IACV inside the upper plenum, lower plenum

Also use the correct size screwdriver and remove the oil shields from inside the valve covers and clean them and the inside of the valve covers, the screws can be stubborn, think we needed an hand impact screw driver to break em loose

There's lots of pics in my build thread of all this iirc

Also a good time to clean the pcv noodle and check the valve cover hoses

Old 11-15-2015, 03:52 PM
Rock Crawling

Okay looking at the thread now and getting ready to clean as instructed.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Here scroll down there's a pic of cleaned up rockers, may be more pics
https://landroverforums.com/forum/bu...1-57534/page8/

Old 11-15-2015, 06:29 PM
Rock Crawling

Ahh ..Thanks Tom! Working on them now..

Old 11-15-2015, 06:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Chemtool works way better........ just dip, soak and blow out. I'm amazed the engine is still running with the tips of those rockers, you have one sticking valve for sure, tip shows a whole circle where the mark should have a half circle to spin the valve as it's contacted. There are at least four tips highly overheated - dull grey look. That means they're not getting ANY oil. You also are showing in every pedestal including the oil ported heavy carbon and that tells me the shaft is loaded with carbon at each through bolt like a dam. Each rocker is showing carbon around the oil port for the pushrod, every one of em.

The amount of carbon clinging to every surface on the rocker assembly is way beyond healthy, your filters must load up well under the 3k mile marker and with it all free floating and flaking off it's just being churned through every aspect of the motor. I know it's high mileage but I have a 190k on mine without as much as a spec of dust......

Quick Reply: My lifters are noisy only when accelerating