General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Is my LR2 a lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 07:05 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my LR2 a lemon?

Hi everyone,

Excuse my ignorance if I make a mistake here, I'm new to this forum and new to forums in general. I just purchased a pre-owned 2008 LR2 on Saturday and I've been having nothing but problems with it ever since

I looked at 3 before I purchase this one. I took it for a test drive and gave it a really good look over. It had only 23,000 kms (14,300 Miles) (practically new) when i purchase it and it has about 24,000 kms now. I bought it out of town, in a neighboring city, and drove it back to my home town; that's why I've put 1000kms on it in only 5 days. Once I got it home, this is what has gone wrong with it:

Day 2: got a screw in the tire (ok, that happens to everyone, not a big deal). Got it fixed at my neighborhood tire shop.

Day 3: was showing it to my pal, looked at the engine, then went for a drive. Message came on and said my "bonnet was open". I google that to find out the "bonnet" meant hood. My hood was not open. I've opened and closed my hood several times and have turned the vehicle on and off several times and it still said that my bonnet was open.

Day 3: went for a drive in the evening, a warning light started flashing. Looked in the manual. It's an Adaptive Lighting Response System failure. Suggested I bring it into my Land Rover Dealer immediately. On the bright side, the bonnet message disapeared around the same time.

Day 4: drove to work in the morning, no more ALS failure flashing but that may be because it was day time. Called Land Rover and told them about the ALS indicator and the bonnet issue. Next available appointment is this coming Tuesday so they're going to take a look.

Day 5 (today): went out for lunch with a coworker. Was driving around in a parking lot, looking for a parking space and it stalled! What the heck? This is the 3rd vehicle I've owned and the first automatic transmission. From what I understand, automatic transmissions aren't suppose to stall. This is very concerning to me.

Day 5 continued: drove home from work and it stalled again pulling away from a red light. It also seems that it doesn't have a much power as it did a few days ago, but I'm not quite sure. And I noticed a weird noise. When the vehicle is on, there a very weird noise and it sounds like it's coming from the the left front side of the LR2. At first it sounded like it was coming from the driver's side door, but I think it's coming from behind the steering wheel. It sounds like a CD player laser scanning a CD. I even ejected all of the CDs out of the stereo and turned it off because I almost thought it was a CD. But even with the stereo off and empty, I still hear the sound.

Anyone else feeling my pain or have any suggestions?

Frustrated and worried in Alberta,
Bear

Last edited by LR2Bear; 07-08-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:12 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

dis you buy it from a certified lr dealer

Old 07-08-2010, 08:20 AM
4th Gear

Yes, it was purchased from a certified dealership. I saw the Car Proof (Car Fax) and the inspection report. I gave Land Rover the VIN and they told me it just had a service/oil change in June.

I just called my local Land Rover service center. He told me the noise is perfectly normal. He said its the sound of the "Heater Box Blend Door" opening and closing. He said it automatically adjusts to keep the cabin temperature regulated. If this is true, it's a very annoying feature.

Regarding the stalling, he said it might be because of the type of fuel (brand of fuel) I put in the tank. I've only used premium fuel and I've only filled it up twice since purchasing it, once on Saturday and once yesterday morning. On Saturday, I filled it up at a place that the service guys says has too much ethanol in their fuel. But it didn't stall Sat - Tue. I filled it up at a place that has good fuel (according to the service guy) on Wed morning and Wednesday it stalled twice. That doesn't make any sense to me. The service guy suggested I drive it to work today to see if it stalls some more. I think it should be towed to the service center.

Last edited by LR2Bear; 07-08-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:50 AM
TReK

Wait a minute you buy it from Carmax or from a land rover dealer? When I say certified the only good certification is land rover. All else is BS. The guys don't know squat and don't care. If you did not buy from the dealer they wont do much for you. No rental or anything else like that.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:16 PM
4th Gear

I bought it from a GM dealership.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:14 PM
TReK

Jesus christ, good luck with your problems. The GM dealership aint gonna do **** for you. They took your money and don't care. They let the LR dealer deal with the issue and the funniest part is the dealership won't give you a rental or good service.

Certified from a GM dealership, wow did you get taken. Didn't you do any research on line about the vehicle and the company. Or did you see a good deal and think it was worth the hassel. Did the salesman explain how to set anything including the phone or how to work the terrain response. I bet he gave you the keys and told you to use regular gas instead of premium.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:19 PM
4th Gear

It's not as bad as you make it out. I had looked at 3 other LR2's from the Land Rover dealership before looking at the one I bought so I had gotten the whole terrain response system 101 a while ago. Not that it's rocket science. Anyway, I have a great relationship with my local LR dealership. They actually helped me negotiate a deal with the GM guys. They knew they couldn't beat his price so they told me to buy from them. I purchased the truck out of town so going back to the GM dealership was never an option. I bought it with the intention of bringing it to LR for the next few years, at least until the warranty is up. This thread was about asking for help regarding the issues I've been experiencing sin the first week. It's not a thread to **** on a GM dealership, who by the way, suggested premium fuel and synthetic oil.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:27 PM
TReK

They couldn't beat his price because they were selling genuine certified vehicles with LR extended warranties on them. Not cars off a used car lot that has no warranty on it.

In order to certify a vehicle a land rover dealer has to pay to certify it. It costs about two grand to certify. On top of that a dealer has to pay the shop two hours to look everything over and has a hell of alot higher standards then a used car dealership. They probably changed the oil and maybe rotated the tires. That is their certification. Anything else wrong they try to get LR to pay for it. Their certification was probably a half an hour checkover for lights and brakes and tires and thats about all. I worked for a lincoln dealer and we got paid a half an hour to look over everything and if the brakes and tires passed state inspection then it passed our inspection. You had to pick up the rest once the car left the lot. If you had a problem go to the dealer and pray for a miracle.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I bought a 04 freelander from a toyota dealer with their premium warrenty. Heater core went and they charged me $47.00. Took 2 weeks and no loaner but hey just drove the range around
Good luck with it