General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need HELP with Decision

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 10:46 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need HELP with Decision

good Morning, I am between a rock and a hard place. My engine blew on my DII 2002 with 130K miles. I would like to replace the engine but I am hearing that it does not pay since I have 130K miles and what is going to go next. I am concerned about the drivetrain etc. Can anyone provide any suggestions regarding how much life I might have left on the trany etc. I have not been able to take it off road as of yet so it has not been pushed at all. the mileage on the vehicle is from commuting to work 100 miles a day. I welcome any input.
Thanks

Old 12-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i think it boils down to a few things.

your location - in the northeast your truck in working condition is worth about $2000 in the northwest it will fetch $6000, it may be cheaper to replace the entire vehicle unless you have done some customization to your truck that you think makes it worth while.

labor - if you are planning on installing this engine yourself that will save you at least a grand or two. if you plan on having a mechanic doing it you are looking at $2500 for the engine and $2k for the labor. Again it has become cheaper to replace the vehicle. Remember that a replacement vehicle with 90k miles might still need head gaskets so thats another $350 in parts and $1200 in labor, you can do the head gaskets on a used engine to put in your truck and again the labor dissapears.

Time - the age old saying, time is money. are you willing to put your time into the repairs necessary to bring it back to life? is your time worth the energy? to some it would be a no brainer to others it may not.

in the end i think the decision is up to you. as for the rest of the truck the only other problem you will have to tackle right away will be rebuilding the front drive shaft with greasable u-joints if it has not been done already. the transmission will be fine, just service it. same with the TC and diffs. service them and everything is going to be just fine.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:13 PM
7th Gear
Default thanks

Thanks for your input. I was worried about the TC and the tranny. especially with the miles on it. However again it has not been pushed. the rest of the vehicle is in excellent condition. I just put about 4K for exhaust etc. How much work and what would be the cost to change out the front drive shaft. Actually now that I think of it I believe it was done about two years ago. If this was your vehicle would you put in the engine or get a replacement vehicle. I just cant see purchasing another used vehicle and not knowing what I am getting. I need a four wheel drive vehicle to get to work since I work in a hospital and considered an essential employee. I would also like to join a 4x4 club and take it off road. would you know of a club in the tri state area. I live in new jersey.
thanks again for your help.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

what hospital are you at? my sister-in-law heads up a hospital in Newark.

front drive shaft should cost about $200 to put new u joints in it, you can buy a new one from Tom Woods for $350.

if i were you i would take any good parts you just put on it, off of it and get another used one and pile on those new parts of yours. up here we can find discos a dime a dozen. to me it doesnt make sense to spend $2.5k on an engine swap when i can get a whole truck for that.

i just bought a '01 se7 for $1,000 with 93k if that helps you for a reference point...

i know someone selling a '99 D2 for $2200 with 94k over here...

LR club link is in my signature we are heading to the pine barrens in april.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am with Hill.... on this one. I would buy another car and keep the one for parts. Again that would be me, and I have room for the spare car.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:31 AM
7th Gear
Default hi hilltoppersx

I am at Jersey Shore University Medical Center about 1 mile from the beach at Ocean Grove. Thanks for feedback. Where does the club meet? Once the Disco is running again I would really like to take it off roading. I used to have a CJ7 and belonged to a 4X4 club on long Island. Went on alot of trips and went on lake george in the winter Ice racing. It was a blast. Thanks for the input it is really appreciated. Have a great holiday and a safe new year.