General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need some honest opinions about my disco...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 11:04 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Shoot, I have NEW pumps for like $140 shipped (with SAI) and $305 (without SAI) with a one year warranty. $1100 is crazy.

Last edited by OEMPartHaus.com; 06-19-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:11 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok I just sort of skimmed this after the first post but since you asked for opinions here is mine.

If you're not at least a very competent shade tree mechanic trying to use an older land rover as a DD is going to get very expensive. Assuming that you have a job that actually requires you to be there every day and mostly on time. You'll also want to make sure you have at least 1 or 2 backup Rover that you can drive one days that yours won't start of is off getting worked on. These trucks require a fair amount of upkeep and maintenance. Sometimes this is not something that is going to get resolved in a day or so and you might have to wait for parts.

I really like my Rovers. But unlike a lot of people on this board I would never DD a Rover. If I could not afford something new with a warranty I would buy a cheap Honda to DD and still use my Rover as a toy/backup vehicle. I'm one of those people that has to be in the office every day and need to be here relatively on time and clean. I also live 30 miles away and there is nobody I can catch a ride with. Therefore I can't afford to not have a fully functional and reliable vehicle 100% of the time.

So it really depends on what your needs are if you can work from home or catch a ride when you need one it could work for you.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 212 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy Lee
Ok I just sort of skimmed this after the first post but since you asked for opinions here is mine.

If you're not at least a very competent shade tree mechanic trying to use an older land rover as a DD is going to get very expensive. Assuming that you have a job that actually requires you to be there every day and mostly on time. You'll also want to make sure you have at least 1 or 2 backup Rover that you can drive one days that yours won't start of is off getting worked on. These trucks require a fair amount of upkeep and maintenance. Sometimes this is not something that is going to get resolved in a day or so and you might have to wait for parts.

I really like my Rovers. But unlike a lot of people on this board I would never DD a Rover. If I could not afford something new with a warranty I would buy a cheap Honda to DD and still use my Rover as a toy/backup vehicle. I'm one of those people that has to be in the office every day and need to be here relatively on time and clean. I also live 30 miles away and there is nobody I can catch a ride with. Therefore I can't afford to not have a fully functional and reliable vehicle 100% of the time.

So it really depends on what your needs are if you can work from home or catch a ride when you need one it could work for you.
What a load of ****, i have been using a single LR as my dd for the 21 years, 81 RRC/ 85RRC and now my 98 D1.
They are no different to any vehicle of the same age, to keep them running and reliable you need to keep up with the maintenance.
Only 5 occasions in this time have i been left on the side of the road calling for assistance and some of those could have been prevented.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:10 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by loanrangie
What a load of ****, i have been using a single LR as my dd for the 21 years, 81 RRC/ 85RRC and now my 98 D1.
What a load of ****? Really? I think the word you were looking for is "Crap". But if it's a load of crap. You either 1 didn't read my post accurately or 2 you didn't understand it. Because you just restated what I said in trying to say I was full of Crap.

They are no different to any vehicle of the same age, to keep them running and reliable you need to keep up with the maintenance.
If you're not at least a very competent shade tree mechanic trying to use an older land rover as a DD is going to get very expensive.
Where did I say I can't be done. If the OP had stated that he was very mechanically inclined and did all his own repairs my opinion would have been different.

Also what most Rover owners consider "Maintenance" other people consider repairs. Exactly what does your "Maintenance" include? Not counting my Rovers. The maintenance on my DD's for the past 8 year (prior to that I had a Rover as a DD) has included Oil change every 5k miles, air filter every 15k and plugs every 40-60k. Other than factory safety recalls none of them ever broke down or needed any repairs. The only exception to that was my last truck needed new brake rotors at 55k because I warped them towing an 8K trailer through the NC/TN mountains. It cost me $150 for all the parts needed. What have you replaced in the last 8 years?

Mean while my '97 DI that gets driven 2-3k miles a year in that same time has had every hose, belt, bearings, U-joints (twice), bushings, radiator, starter, CKPS, fuel pump and probably a bunch other parts fixed.

Only 5 occasions in this time have i been left on the side of the road calling for assistance and some of those could have been prevented.
Therefore I can't afford to not have a fully functional and reliable vehicle 100% of the time.
I have not been stuck on the road since 1992 and that was when driving from NY to NC in a 1971 Fiat 850 Spider. Which is not one of the most reliable vehicles ever built. Could it happen, sure it could happen tomorrow. But I'm going to minimize that as much as possible.

Again I never said you could not DD a Rover. I just said it will get expensive if you don't know how to work on them and that they require a lot of maintenance. Which you just stated yourself. So thanks for supporting my case.

Also I like to work on my Rover as a hobby not because I have to to get to work the next day. It's just my opinion and we all know what they say about opinions. You're entitled to think that doing constant maintenance and only being stuck on the side of the road 5 times is a good record. I was done with that when I turned 30.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:06 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, my first post was made in a moment of frustration while a lot of caca was hitting the fan from every direction, so I understand Buddy Lee's post. I'm going to learn to work on this car and keep it running. My biggest problem right now seems to be that I do not have a reliable code reader for this vehicle, therefore, I can't really narrow down exactly what's going on. I solved that problem today, and I will be downloading the Rave repair disc/manual also. When I say daily driver, I drive my car back and forth to work 4miles round trip daily, and I drive maybe 5 miles per day around town other than that. I can and have been riding my bike to work, and I have a shower here and wear scrubs from here, so sweating or getting wet on the way in when I'm working on the car is no problem. I hope to have all the major issues that are popping up...which I believe is mostly due to it mostly sitting undriven for 2+ years...by this fall, because I will be taking this on hunting trips up to 4 hours away and riding the bike to work in the winter here is not an option. Worst case scenario, my wife can drop me off and pick me up if my LR is down. I'm going to do everything I can to learn to work on and keep this thing running, especially considering all the big work I've already had done on it. Thanks for the replies.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:55 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

your no worse off than a lot of people that come here the first time. Use the search engine, the RAVE and ask questions.

As far as a DD I have 4 on the road 2 discovery's, p-38 & a RRC. both discovery do 50-60 miles a day, my p-38 80 or more daily.

they don't STB any more than when i was running Fords or dodges, they are not the most economical vehicle but they do make it to the sites everyday even after an 8 foot winter.

If you read some old posts you will see new members flipping out about changing wiper blades, fast forward a year or two and the same members have rebuilt there engine.

invest $100 in basic tools and a good scanner and you will be surprise at what you can do. I would suggest looking at a Icarsoft scanner they are less than $150 and will not only scan and clear engine codes it will also do ABS, ans SLS codes as well.