General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New to this forum and my Check Engine Light just came on...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Magnificent MoPar.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:39 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check Engine Light still on

I replaced both front O2 sensors Bosch and CEL comes on and stays on. I go down to O'Reillys and reset the light and it comes back on after a few minutes.

I get these codes now (today)
P1171
P1174
P1668

The check engine light came on after I changed the oil from 10W40 non-synth to 5w30 synth in July 2013. At the same time the battery went dead. I replaced the oil filter at the same time with a LR OEM. Just a coincidence, maybe?

I replaced with a KN filter in June 2013. Somthing to do with it?

The MAS airflow sensor was replaced in May 2013. The spark plugs and wires were replaced in 03/2011 with Magnacor 8mm.

Any idea what the issue is?

I bought this car end June 2013 and no Check Engine Light. The only things I've changed was oild, oil filter, air filter, battery.

Any advice is appreciated!

Old 08-30-2013, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

P1668 Engine anti-theft signal circuit high Serial link open circuit (this would refer to the data path between the Body Control Unit and the ECU - could be a dirty connector).

P1171 System too lean (bank 1) Additive injector adaptive fuelling - lean limit exceeded LH bank

P1174 System too lean (bank 2) Additive injector adaptive fuelling - lean limit exceeded RH bank

(the system has adapted as far as it can go which is about 22% change from norm) [could be unmetered air in the system from a vac or hose leak anywhere past the MAF, this could include the seal between upper and lower intake, etc.]

Attached are 5 pages from the Bosch ECU manual that explain how these codes are generated (what has to change) and how often they have to happen before light comes on. Some codes 1, 2 or 4 times. So you can clear today, and it pop back up in a couple of drive cycles, you really didn't fix the problem.

You can download the RAVE, which has the shop manual and such, and you can also download the engine computer manual (Bosch) at links in my signature. The Bosch manual shows the engine codes (not transmission codes) and what has to change to generate the code. It is important to realize that each auto company does things just a little different, go by the factory documentation, not the generic text display in a universal rader (like a parts store).

As far as clearing codes, and them clearing by themselves, here is how Bosch handles it:

The ECM and automatic TCM software monitors each fault condition and allocates a mnemonic Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) to specific faults; e.g.
P0170 fuel trim malfunction. The software also checks that the monitoring conditions are valid and the current status of the fault. There are common
condition flags for each fault module.
Generally, an emission relevant fault is not reported as soon as it occurs, but only after it is flagged during a second valid drive cycle. A drive cycle is
defined by a period of engine operation 􀁴 10 seconds and the diagnostic fault path in question having been completed at least once. If the fault is still
present on the subsequent drive cycle, the OBD system logs the fault and freeze frame data and illuminates the MIL.
If the fault is not present in the subsequent driving cycle, the system holds it as a temporary fault and counts a number of drive cycles before deleting
it from the fault memory providing it does not reoccur. A re-occurring fault will be immediately logged as a permanent emissions fault, and may
illuminate the MIL according to the type of fault.
When an emissions fault is recognised, the system monitors over Warm Up Cycles (WUC). A warm up cycle is defined by a period of engine
operation where the ECT has increased by 21oC (40oF) and exceeds 71oC (160oF).
Monitoring during warm up is also relevant to permanent faults. If the flagged fault is not present in a subsequent drive cycle, the warm up cycle
counter is started. If the fault is not flagged again, the MIL remains illuminated but is extinguished after 3 fault free WUC. The fault is finally deleted
from the fault memory after 40 fault free WUC.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 fuel system monitoring.pdf (386.8 KB, 150 views)
Old 08-30-2013, 08:00 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

hemicharger69

got to like it don't see to many real 500's any more, it has the flat grill and lights?

Old 12-13-2013, 04:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I wish someone did this for me: WHAT FIXED IT

This forum would be a lot more useful if people posted WHAT FIXED THEIR ISSUES.

I could have saved $1000.

My check engine was on. I replaced with new 02 sensors pre and post. I replaced with used MAS sensor. I replaced my KN filter with OEM. I replaced my 5W30 oil with 10W40. Still CEL.

I brought to my mechanic and he ran a smoke test. Fuel Injector oil seals needed to be replaced. $1000 later. No CEL.

There. Was that so hard? Pass it forward.