General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New to Forum - Question on Door Locks

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 11:23 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Forum - Question on Door Locks

Hi - Newbie here. Looking for some help and glad I found this Forum. I have a 1999 Disco II, with 115K miles. Passenger side door locks recently quit working. First the rear passenger door and now the front passenger door. Will not open or lock with either using the the fob or the toggle on the dash. I did a search and couldn't find anything on this Forum.

Anyone have this problem and can you direct me to a solution. Many thanks - Happy Holidays.

Old 12-27-2004, 01:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: New to Forum - Question on Door Locks

Do they lock with the push button on each door?

Could be several things, one is the central locking motors have failed, or the cables are not getting the current required, i.e. a bad earth connection.

The rods have become disconnected from motor to door lock.. (Listen and see if you can hear the motor run when you lock the doors with the fob)

May just need a good greasing, using lock grease, though you may still have to take the door trim off to get to all the moving parts.

Old 12-27-2004, 01:54 PM
Overlanding

Hey thanks for getting back to me. The push buttons donot work either. Thanks for the tips. Happy New Year./

Old 12-27-2004, 02:15 PM
Rock Crawling

No problem and happy new year to you.

Sounds like you will have to take the door trim off though, not sure how it is done, but take it easy. My two landies don't have much in the way of trim.
First suspect would be the earth connection, as these go green over time, just need removing and a good brush with a wire brush.

Old 12-27-2004, 06:11 PM
Drifting

Are you saying you're unable to lock either of those doors at all, even if you press the pop up buttons down? If so, that seems a little strange to me but if that is the case it's got to be something with the mechanics of the locks beneath the door trim. As has already been suggested, it has to be something to do with the rods, perhaps they've somehow popped out or something - but as I said, that seems very strange to me.

If you're saying that the locks don't work with the central locking but the door will lock if you manually press the button down then it's either going to be to do with the wiring to the solenoid or the solenoid itself. As it happens, one of my passenger doors has recently become intermittent. If I lock the doors with the central locking all the doors lock except this one passenger door. If I press the button down manually then the door DOES lock, and if I open with the central locking they all open so it's only a problem when I'm locking the doors.

As soon as I get a dry day I'm going to take the interior panel off and take a look, but I suspect I'll be needing a new solenoid.

Brian

Old 12-28-2004, 01:15 PM
Overlanding

Brian: Thanks for your help. It sounds like we have the same problem. To clarify, the passenger doors will not work using the fob or by using the central locking toggle. THEY WILL lock if I manually press the locks down, but then I'm unable to open with either the fob or the cental locking toggle. I have to pull up on each lock to disengage. In my situation one door malfunctioned to be followed by the second within a couple of weeks of one another. Keep me posted if you don't mind. If I can replace myself then I'll follow your lead. Thanks again for the advice. - Barry

Old 12-30-2004, 04:22 PM
Rock Crawling

It is a lock motor problem, as you are able to use the push button on each door, therefore the linkage is still all connected.

After removing the door trim, try locking the door with the button or keyfob and listen to see if you can hear the motor working or not before removing.. check all cables as well.

Hope you get it fixed okay.

Old 05-30-2005, 08:31 PM
1st Gear

I too have a 1999 Disco II and none of the door locks work now

In fact I found that the fuse blows as soon as I place it in the fuse block

My guess is that it is a short in the wiring harness some where

Are your fuse(s) blown?