General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

new oil pump 97 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 07:23 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new oil pump 97 4.0

intalled new oil pump no oil pressure. every thing went smooth but no oil pressure no instructions on priming isoaked pump with oil dont know what the problem is

Old 02-29-2012, 07:27 PM
Drifting

Take it back off, flip it over, remove the cover (5 i think pan head bolts 6mm allen(?) take the pump gear out and reassemble it, this time pack it with petroleum jelly, or an assembly lube (?) but I think p jelly is preferred. put it all back together. try again.the gears need the seal from the p jelly to prime itself, and start pumping oil. Stinks to do it again.... but.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by giftshopduane
Take it back off, flip it over, remove the cover (5 i think pan head bolts 6mm allen(?) take the pump gear out and reassemble it, this time pack it with petroleum jelly, or an assembly lube (?) but I think p jelly is preferred. put it all back together. try again.the gears need the seal from the p jelly to prime itself, and start pumping oil. Stinks to do it again.... but.
This is not necessary and most likely won't help. The gear-rotor (progressive cavity) pumps are self-priming. It was the old distributor driven pumps that HAD to be primed.

If you think it's due to no prime, your best bet is to apply a suction to the oil cooler line and draw oil through the pump and fill the cooler and oil filter.

That said, chances are the reason you needed to replace the oil pump was due not to the oil pump failing but the main and rod bearings failing.

I've replaced countless oil pump gearsets on DIIs and had very few problems with them.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:18 PM
Drifting

I've been schooled.. thanks for the correction. I'm man enough to admit my mistake. Not the first nor the last time I will be wrong!

Old 02-29-2012, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

And if this is a D2 of the vin range without an oil cooler, can one still remove the plug for it and accomplish this?

Old 03-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by giftshopduane
I've been schooled.. thanks for the correction. I'm man enough to admit my mistake. Not the first nor the last time I will be wrong!
No worries mate! The last guy that was perfect got nailed to a cross.

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
And if this is a D2 of the vin range without an oil cooler, can one still remove the plug for it and accomplish this?
Sure!

My '93 LWB had no oil pressure when first started after having sat for two years. I hooked up the evacuator and drew a vacuum on the cooler line, as soon as I saw oil, I hooked up the line and fire the truck up. Instant oil pressure!

Old 03-01-2012, 10:13 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ptschram
This is not necessary and most likely won't help. The gear-rotor (progressive cavity) pumps are self-priming. It was the old distributor driven pumps that HAD to be primed.

If you think it's due to no prime, your best bet is to apply a suction to the oil cooler line and draw oil through the pump and fill the cooler and oil filter.

That said, chances are the reason you needed to replace the oil pump was due not to the oil pump failing but the main and rod bearings failing.

I've replaced countless oil pump gearsets on DIIs and had very few problems with them.
thanks

Old 03-01-2012, 10:16 AM
5th Gear

thank had no low end noise just dry lifter old pump would build up pressure nothing from new pump

Old 03-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by curtis d.sr.
thank had no low end noise just dry lifter old pump would build up pressure nothing from new pump
In that case, try drawing a vacuum on the cooler line and give it another try.

Maybe it's my turn to be wrong again!

Old 03-01-2012, 12:43 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ptschram

sorry im not havin any luck triedvac upper and lower hoses until i got oil anything else please helpwent together to smooth or i would suspect something else

Quick Reply: new oil pump 97 4.0