General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

new rotors brakes, bearings fine, noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 04:25 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face new rotors brakes, bearings fine, noise

Just spent last Saturday putting on new pads and rotors on the rear and now I have a speed dependent rotational noise going on. I checked and relubbed the bearings, checked the dust guards, and flushed the brake fluids. Is this normal for new rotors and pads and the just need to settle? I've probably put about 100miles on them by now. Sounds like a light tire rub but faster. The front got new pads on the old rotors and no noise up there.

Just want to make sure it is not something larger before I wait and hope the noise goes away after some more breaking in.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:40 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Have you checked to make sure the pads haven't slipped down in the calipers in such a way that the backing plate is rubbing on the rotor on the part that fits over the hub? If it is you'll see a shiny band all the way around.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Mudding

Just gave a look and both sides are sitting pretty and the clips and hardware are new from AB. I'm at a total loss. Could it be that one of the pads isn't clearing the rotor when not engaged? The calipers looked clean without rust. From what I understand the slight variation of the rotors are supposed to clear the pads whole rotating. Is this correct? If so could the tension of the new clips be prohibiting the pad from clearing?

Old 08-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Mudding

Hmm starting to think its something else. Just noticed that the sound doesn't stop during braking.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Have you turned the hubs by hand while the tires were off?

Old 08-23-2011, 07:59 PM
Mudding

Yea that is my next step. Going to have to do it tomorrow night when I can get in the garage. Man I hate sleeping on problems.

One of the things that is nagging me about the rotor replacement is that when i got the old rotor off i noticed the the inner bearings on both rear rotors were 'floating' between the race of the rotor and the the grease gasket. To clarify the gasket was not sitting all the way in the rotor against the bearing but flush with the lip. Seemed odd to me but I just put it all back together the same way with the new rotor. Should the gasket sit fully in the rotor against the inner bearing?

*20 min later (had to drop off co worker)

Man am I lost. I have no idea where it's coming from since i cant tell if its echoing under the car. It seems way to fast to be rotor related but like I said, I'm lost on this one. I just stopped in a parking lot and noticed that if I move about a foot forward or back I can hear it. It sounds like a real quiet, I have nothing really to compare it to, frog creak or high pitched groan. Like dry rubber or something.

Well I guess I'll put it up tomorrow and start rotating things around. Any suggestions as to what else I might want to look for?

Old 08-23-2011, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Caliper hanging? I used an IR point and shoot thermometer to measure disc temps after a test drive. Ones on same axle should be close. One was way off, disc was much warmer, caliper sticking. Just a thought.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The hub seal is recessed 7mm. Yes, the inner bearing will be loose in the hub before you install the hub to the stub axle.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:18 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Caliper hanging? I used an IR point and shoot thermometer to measure disc temps after a test drive. Ones on same axle should be close. One was way off, disc was much warmer, caliper sticking. Just a thought.

I BELIEVE I just realized this issue.

Replaced pads and rotors on the front of my Disco about 10,000 miles ago (maybe less), two days ago got an awful metal on metal grinding sound when I stopped in the parking lot at work.

So yesterday pulled the wheels, calipers and rotors.

Right side (front), as suspected, down to the metal on the brake pads, no pad material left on inside or outside pad. Drivers side, looks like I'm missing about 10% of the pad, everything looks perfect on that side.

I'm hoping I won't have to replace the calipers, though right now it's sitting on jack stands with everthing removed, so no time like the present to replace them if I need to.

I've already orderd new pads and rotors for both sides, do I need to order a caliper too?

Old 08-24-2011, 08:35 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

yes you do, when one side wears away the brake pads then its the caliper hanging up.

Quick Reply: new rotors brakes, bearings fine, noise