General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

NEWBIE W/ 2000 DISCO II

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 03:10 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEWBIE W/ 2000 DISCO II

Have to say, overall, my Disco is very good to me. Purchased about 6 months ago. I am a Military wife, hubby currently deployed, and hate the thought of walking into Mechanic shop and getting hosed. I am hoping that this forum will at least provide me with some "lingo" and suggestions so the Mech doesnt try to sell me crap I dont need. 1) I currently have the atypical ABS/TC/HD lights illuminated. Lots of brake dust and sqealing. Ordered new pads and rotors/ should be fixed this weekend. However, do you think these lights will go out automatically with the brake job or will I need to reset the sensors??? 2) I have an intermitten flashing of my Parking brake light- going over bumpy terrain seems to make it flicker on and off. Doesnt seem like the brake is on- any ideas what causes the light to go on? 3) Only on start up in morning I have a brief squeal from belt. Worse if the AC is on during start up. Any ideas? Belt looks new. Does it need adjusting? Lubrication? Thanks for reading through, and any advice would be most appriciated. Marge

Old 10-14-2006, 10:39 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: NEWBIE W/ 2000 DISCO II

ORIGINAL: MARGE

Have to say, overall, my Disco is very good to me. Purchased about 6 months ago. I am a Military wife, hubby currently deployed, and hate the thought of walking into Mechanic shop and getting hosed. I am hoping that this forum will at least provide me with some "lingo" and suggestions so the Mech doesnt try to sell me crap I dont need. 1) I currently have the atypical ABS/TC/HD lights illuminated. Lots of brake dust and sqealing. Ordered new pads and rotors/ should be fixed this weekend. However, do you think these lights will go out automatically with the brake job or will I need to reset the sensors??? 2) I have an intermitten flashing of my Parking brake light- going over bumpy terrain seems to make it flicker on and off. Doesnt seem like the brake is on- any ideas what causes the light to go on? 3) Only on start up in morning I have a brief squeal from belt. Worse if the AC is on during start up. Any ideas? Belt looks new. Does it need adjusting? Lubrication? Thanks for reading through, and any advice would be most appriciated. Marge
First of all who new rotors and pads, by BRAND, are you putting on your truck? Make sure you use lots of brake pad sound deadening material to cut the chances of squeaking. Make sure you do a full brake bleed, about 3 pints of fluid will be necessary.
Your lights are on because of the brake dust and squeaking, that will trip the sensors and throw on your lights, wait until after you have installed the new brakes and then have a shop with either a Rover Test Book or an AutoLogic scanner reset your lights.
Your parking brake is flashing because it is not all the way releades, check the adjustment and the switch.
Your belt noise is just that, did you not have it replaced as part of the 45K service. If not you will need a belt and possibly a tensioner and pulley as they are know to be replaced to an upgrade version. If the belt has no cracking in it, it is probably just slipping and the tensioner is not keeping it adjusted properily, do not attempt to lube the belt.
Mike

Old 10-14-2006, 07:05 PM
3rd Gear

Hi Marge,

I also have a Disco '00 and have experienced all the problems you describe w/ the exception of the belt squeal. I agree w/ everything Mike posted w/ one other possibility for the reason your parking brake light's on. Yes, it could be that it's not completely released. But it could also be (and very likely is since I had the same problem on mine) the sensor simply needs replacing. This sensor's located inside the cap of the brake fluid reservoir. I drove my disco w/ this light on for over a year before finally replacing it for ~$70.

As for trusting the folks who work on your LR, I advise doing some research online for shops in your area for whom you find recommendations. You don't need to take it to LR dealership (in fact, they're more likely to be higher priced for work) but do find a LR only shop that's got a top reputation in the area.

Good luck!

-robin

Old 10-15-2006, 01:04 AM
Overlanding

Thanks everyone for the great advice. The brakes are done, and quiet The belt didnt squeal this morning- so maybe not a "rush to the repair shop" kinda issue. And the parking brake light, when illuminated, will go out if I jiggle the brake fluid resivoir. Then will stay off until I hit a bump in the road and I am back to the flicker. Maybe a sensor? I thought maybe sloshing of fliud might trigger it to think it is low? I am only guessing...but again, I dont think I am rushing to the shop for another visit this week. Took her on a little mudding trip this weekend- she always looks better dirty ) Thank again for all the help- I will be back to this forum often so I can read up and learn as much as possible. - Marge

Old 10-16-2006, 12:21 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If the light goes out when wiggeling the reservor I am thinking of two problems. One your fluid is a little low or the float switch is failing, either way you won't need to take it to a shop for that, easy fix. While your looking at the brake fluid, if it looks a little brownish do a full brake flush and get a better brake pedal and better stopping power.
Mike