General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

newbie who knows little about lr's

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 04:25 PM
zak
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie who knows little about lr's

Hi, not sure if what im going to say will make any sense, but here goes! my bruv in law's head gasket went back in september, got it fixed...no probs. Now three months down the line its gone again, hes spoken to the mechanic who said its either one of two things. either it was a faulty gasket or the cylinder has a hairline crack in it. can anyone tell me if, when replacing the gasket a pressure check would be done on the cylinder as a matter of course or not. the mechanic said that because the engine was spotless the cylinder looked ok, so therefore didnt do the pressure check.
the land rover he has is a series 1 TDI M reg with a recon engine. would appreciate any replies. thanks

Old 01-03-2007, 06:42 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: newbie who knows little about lr's

Time for a compression test and leak down test. Did the mechanic use new head bolts?
The head should have been inspected just to be safe. Will be interested to see what they find.
Mike

Old 01-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: newbie who knows little about lr's

I had my head gasket go out after 3 months,found out I needed to have block decked,if thats the case being a voice of bad experiance just buy new bottom end