General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No mass air flow sensor???

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 06:19 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No mass air flow sensor???

Hello,
I just bought a 2001 Freelander 2.5 V6 petrol auto as I stated in the "newcomer" section of this forum.
I do not care that much about no heat in cabin but, "missing Mass Air flow Sensor (MAS)" issue draws my attention pretty much.
When taking a look at the snorkel side (driver side in here), an 8 cm-diameter hose seems placed in this area without a MAS...As far as I know, engine would not be started without a MAS but, it runs good... A mechanic told me that there would not be a MAS in these year's engines. It seems so strange to me and I have been so confused when I have seen a video in YouTube related to the thermostat change. That Freelander was 2003 with exactly the same engine and, there was a MAS in there obviously...
So, do you have an idea about MAS in my 2001 Freelander? Should there be a MAS in between the snorkel hose before the intake manifold next battery? If yes, how this engine is running without a MAS?
I will ask about "no heat in cabin with no rise of the needle in instrument cluster" issue in another thread... Probably bad thermostat or missing one again...