General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

No start... except with starting fluid.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 12:53 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start... except with starting fluid.

Hello! New member here. I have just acquired a 1998 Discovery 1. It is a GEMS gasoline V8. I'm having a no start issue with it. The truck will start and run... but only with starting fluid. It won't start on it's own. Has spark during cranking. Fuel pump runs and has 40 psi at fuel rail. Cranks strong and long for as long as I turn the key... but won't cough or fire a single cylinder. But!... if I feed it a little starting fluid (ether) it fires up and runs just fine. Just got some new fuel in it (mixed with old stuff) but still does it. Once the truck is running, it runs great. Almost like the fuel injectors are not firing... But only during cranking???Any Ideas? Or anyone had this issue. Anyways, this is my first Land Rover. First British car. I'm excited! Thanks for your help

AA

Old 04-16-2018, 08:39 PM
6th Gear

What codes were thrown? My 02 is doing the same thing currently. I replaced the crank and cam sensors.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:41 PM
4wd Low

Hi! Thanks for the reply. So... it has no codes and the check engine light is not on. I had originally thought Crank Position Sensor... but i have swapped that out already. Tested the one that had been in there when I got it, and it seems to work fine as well. Has spark and runs fine once started so I don't think it is the cps. My 98 does not have a cam sensor. Does yours start with some spray in the intake as well?

Old 04-17-2018, 04:49 AM
6th Gear

I didn't bother. Its pumping fuel in the cylinders. Ill post once I figure out my issue and continue to follow this as well

Old 04-17-2018, 07:21 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 365 Likes on 284 Posts

Could a failing coolant temp sensor not be providing correct values to the ECU so no enrichment for starting?

Old 04-17-2018, 04:40 PM
4wd Low

Could be... my temp sensor works during driving (shows an accurate temp). Could the sensor read bad during start up and then start reading better when it is running? My experience with failure on temp sensors is they read cold (like -40)... so in my mind it would give it more gas during start up if that was the case. I am new to Land Rovers so I don't know if that is how they work yet.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:52 PM
Pro Wrench

I'm also new to LR but can tell you that I have seen plenty of coolant temp sensors fail "closed" and provide a lower resistance value which indicate a warm vehicle. I have read that my 04 D2 lets the ECU approximate the coolant temp as indicated on the gauge and earlier models do not. In my experience there is usually a separate sensor for each function. One for the ECU and one for the gauge. Since mine doesn't work this way, maybe yours does.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

If it runs on either, l'd be looking at fuel/fuel pressure. Is the fuel pump running?

Brian.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:35 PM
4wd Low

Hi there! Fuel pump is running. I have 40 psi at the fuel rail when I'm trying to start it. And after I get it started with the spray... It runs good with no symptoms of fuel issues.
It is almost like the fuel injectors are not working until the engine is spinning fast for a bit???

Old 04-18-2018, 08:36 PM
Pro Wrench

You may be able to disconnect the coolant temp sensor to simulate high resistance (aka cold motor) and see if the ECU richens the mixture and the vehicle starts. ODBII may not be happy with this decision and may freak out however so be prepared for code resetting. This new fangled stuff is out of my wheelhouse but this is where my logic leads me. Someone else may have better insight on whether or not disconnecting the CTS is a wise descision.

Quick Reply: No start... except with starting fluid.