General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

noise from the petrol tank

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013 | 01:30 AM
|
6th Gear
Default noise from the petrol tank

good day,

i own a 2004 discovery 2 v8 petrol. its in middle east and it is really hot in here now (the temp is approx 40 degree)

today morning after driving 6 kms , when i parked my car i heard a beeeep loud noise from the petrol tank , i then opened my tank lid and huge air pushed out of it for around 5 seconds and then the noise stopped.

i closed the lid and still heard an air pumping noise around this area.
i havent started the car after that. is it safe to start now.

what should be the problem should i be taking it to any mechanic

please advice

thank you

Old 06-13-2013 | 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

OK to crank, release pressure again first. You may want to start with new gas cap. Could be emissions related code will appear for your check engine light.

How did you resolve your previous overheating issues?

Old 06-13-2013 | 05:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle

It sounds like the purge valve isn't venting the tank properly. That said, it's safe to drive, just be mindful to discharge your body of static electricity when opening the gas cap. A static discharge while venting the tank, that's dangerous.

So, the purge valve... you can find it affixed to the side of the intake manifold, just behind the throttle body. The next time you hear the noise or think the tank is pressurized, unclamp and disconnect the hose from the rear of the valve. If you get the same escape of fuel vapor, then it's a bad valve, and you should order a replacement.

To save a bit of money, you can order the part from a Hyundai dealer. #28910-22040 is the replacement part, and is of equal quality to the OEM part. It just happens to be 5x less expensive.

Old 06-14-2013 | 08:28 AM
1st Gear
A similar type of problem occurred to me also. Way back earlier it was creating an unusual pressure in the petrol tank and after much research I figured out that the air flow was disturbed by some foreign object in the tank. Seemed simple but wasted much amounts of time in the end.

Old 06-16-2013 | 01:48 AM
|
6th Gear
Default thanks

thank you everyone ,

well i never had a problem of pressure inside the tank after that. planning to take to a mechanic to check the below mentioned valve issues.
@cynthia duff - how did you spot the foreign object inside the tank ??

@ racer x- very glad to know that there are substitute parts which are cheeper
because the parts of landrover is very very expensive in middle east. ( the rear bumper lamp cover is 350$ here, so u can imagine how expensive these are) thanks so much for the tip

@ savannah buzz- thanks for the reply, as you suggested last time i had to change the gasket kit which was already broken, radiator hose kit and a few other parts as well to keep it well running.. landrover costs a lot ...!!!

Old 06-16-2013 | 06:38 AM
Administrator

If you do not have a service engine light on, do not waste your money trying to find a problem that has gone away. If it comes back and your light is on then go otherwise your mechanic will just start guessing and sell you non-needed parts.

Old 06-17-2013 | 05:00 AM
|
6th Gear

i have an indication which lights up if the engine rpm goes below 1000rpm

its there since i bought the vehicle and havent caused any trouble

Old 06-17-2013 | 06:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by mike_disco2
i have an indication which lights up if the engine rpm goes below 1000rpm

its there since i bought the vehicle and havent caused any trouble
Which indicator does this? It wouldn't happen to be the one that looks like a red oil can, would it?

Old 06-17-2013 | 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Warning lights are there for a reason. In the case of the oil can, the internal oil pressure has dropped below 7PSI, when it should be higher. A mechanical oil gauge can be attached for testing (right where that switch is removed from). Expected pressure warmed up would be above 10 PSI idle, and 50 PSI at 2500 rpm. Low oil pressure can be filter, sludge, engine wear, oil pump gears worn or cracked (pix below), and wrong oil for temp range. The last two digits in your oil weight should be 40 or higher. Please don't run 10W30 in hot weather. You can run oils of 10W40, 10W50, and 10W60 (yes sixty) in your temp range, like out in the desert. But 40C is 104 just like back here in the summer, and 15W40 Shell Rottela diesel rated oil is a popular oil.

Attached Thumbnails noise from the petrol tank-oil-pump.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 06-17-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-17-2013 | 07:29 AM
|
6th Gear

@ racer X- yes it is the indicator with red oil can

Quick Reply: noise from the petrol tank