General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Novice in San Diego starting Discovery I Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 10:31 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Novice in San Diego starting Discovery I Build

Hello and thanks in advance for the assistance. I recently had a 1998 Land Rover Discovery given to me. It has 125K miles and from the look and sound of things is running good. I was able to drive it two hours ( 140 miles home last night no issues). I have never done anything with Land a rovers or cars so questions might be a bit basic. Had a few questions.

1. Looked around and saw different threads but wanted to get some feedback on the best octane for the discovery I.

2. I will be taking it to a friend that is a mechanic that works on British cars. What should I have serviced or checked I want to ensure the car is road ready prior to anything else being done.

again thanks and I look forward to sharing the experience with you

Old 08-03-2020, 09:57 AM
TReK
Received 420 Likes on 351 Posts

Hey there. Welcome aboard. First a couple of administrative things.
- Put the model & year of your truck in your signature (helps us understand what you are talking about more clearly)
- check out and download the workshop manuals (aka: RAVE) which can be found in the google drive link in my signature.
- familiarize yourself with this thread which is in the D1 section
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...section-32402/
- Post in the "D1" or "Build thread" sections of this site

as to actual work on the truck...
- use 93 octane
- Drain and refill ALL fluids. Oil, coolant, transmission, as well as front, center, and rear differentials
- Change filters: oil, air, and fuel

optional stuff....
- replace spark plugs and wires

Even a friendly mechanic is going to be expensive versus the value of these trucks (not much) so I'd recommend getting used to doing some basic repairs and maintenance for yourself. Not much is difficult to do on these trucks. They are basically giant sized tinker toys.