General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Octane

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 06:19 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Octane

Add 4oz of Acetone to a tank of gas for better gas mileage......it really does work

Old 12-31-2005, 07:28 AM
Nux
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Hank

Add 4oz of Acetone to a tank of gas for better gas mileage......it really does work
I agree, it does work. But almost half the seals and o-rings in our fuel systems are not compatible with acetone. So, what are you saving in the long run???

Old 01-03-2006, 02:44 AM
Drifting

ORIGINAL: Nux

ORIGINAL: Hank

I agree, it does work. But almost half the seals and o-rings in our fuel systems are not compatible with acetone. So, what are you saving in the long run???
I don't know....I've been doing it for 60k miles, and have only changed the fuel filtera few times....

Old 01-03-2006, 02:57 AM
Overlanding

i see the effects of detonation everyday at work.....also knock sensors do retard the timing the counter effect for the possibility that the fuel is igniting before the spark is being thrown like stated above but knock sensors arent the most precise instruments and if they did infact work like they should then i would probably have less work at the shop. personally i run 93 and i do not like octance boosters my 2 cents and if im correct 02 sensors are only used for adjusting fuel to air ratio at idle and slightly above it after that a programed fuel and ignition map which read other various sensors...ex iat, map, a/f , tp, ect is what takes care of the rest

Old 01-03-2006, 05:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Higher octane fuel is a slower burning. This allows a higher compression engine to advance timing without pre-detonation, thus allowing you to utilize higher HP output. Low octane fuels burn faster, hotter, and more efficiently. A higher compression engine backs off timing thus lowering potential HP, at the same time adding more fuel to compensate as said above, knocking/pinging/pre-detonation. Mind you, the addition of the extra fuel is very minimal. Our engines don't have that high compression, I don't know why people are so crazy about high octane, besides some of the benefits of the other solvents they put in to clean injectors and higher methanol quantities to prevent freezing.

Most people that actually see a positive performance difference using high octane have bad 02 sensors throwing the ECU in closed loop (default), high injector duty cycles. 02 sensors don't work properly after 30k-50k anyway. I don't think detonation could ever cause a sleeve drop as these are made with an interference fit (at .002-.003" over), the hotter they get, the stronger they hold. Blowing a hole in a piston, now that's where you can pont fingers at detonation.

High octane fuels are a waste of money in my opinion. I'd rather dump in half a gallon of methyl hydrate per fill up to do the same thing.

I love engines way to much! [sm=burnout.gif]
ummmmm......where did I say detonation would drop a sleeve?
and yes, your post is the correct way to put it.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:49 AM
Nux
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: mikemeyer0

I don't know where you said this. Ummm, did I quote you on that? [sm=noooo.gif]

Old 01-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: mikemeyer0

I don't know where you said this. Ummm, did I quote you on that? [sm=noooo.gif]
um, yea I just re-read your post a little slower, my bad, haha.