General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Which ODBII tool?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 05:09 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK so here is what I've learned so far---

if I want to read generic OBDII code and reset it, I can use about anything including an iPhone app/bluetool unit for $30 bucks.

If I want the tool to convert the codes to human speak, and get some deeper diagnostic and system readings, I need to spend a hundred or two.

If I want to do detailed data monitoring and recording, and and have a "dialog" with my car and all it's systems, that's where I'll need to spend $600-$1,200. Using these products such as Lynx (which interfaces with a laptop) I can montor any system reading realtime and I can program system settings even as mundane as lock behavior, light delays and such.

Hawkeye is built and programmed specifically for Landrover models by a company of (I assume) Landrover-heads in Vermont. They created what might be the ultimate owners tool to diagnose LR problems and manage their vehicle. There are much more sophisticated devices out there for professional mechanics but for a private LR owner, it looks like this may be the most powerful and useful OBDII devices an owner might get, especially because of it's intimate knowledge of the details of the LR design.

It is not built to try and understand just any car, e.g it is"purpose built" for LR. With it you can even actuate individual windows up and down, or check to see if individual switches are working.

Anyway, that's my take.

Now it's just a matter of how much $ to spend for various capabilities. But at least now I can understand why I might choose to spend 20X more for one product than another.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:36 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OBD2 code readers is an improved version of OBD1 (On-Board Diagnostic1). It is an automated system which keeps on examining emission-related components and parts of your car. The system is pretty much all about vehicles self-diagnostic ability. Generally you can find this approach in all newest vehicles.

Read more : OBD2 Codes, Land Rover Check Engine Codes, Trouble Codes, Diagnostic Codes - CheckEngineCode.com