General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

OH HAPPY DAY!! I saved a BUNDLE 'O' CASH!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 02:33 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OH HAPPY DAY!! I saved a BUNDLE 'O' CASH!!

I am one very happy camper. I have a 2005 Range Rover HSE with about 55,000 miles on it. The seal on the tailgate, between the glass and the painted metal was falling apart. I am in Colorado. Hot and dry days. I thought that this probably would be an easy job for me. I bought the OEM seal for about $46.00 I took my vehicle to the local glass shop. My nearest dealer is a 10 hour round trip. He said that the rear glass HAD to be removed along with a ton of trim and the wiper motor, PLUS he would not guarantee that he would not break the glass! AND, I would be responsible for the glass and labor cost!! ( NO way did that fly ) He did quote me approximately $400. - $500. if the glass did not break. He also said that he would not guarantee the black paint on the glass would not get badly marred. I just gave up there. I phoned two dealers and asked for a labor quote. I don't remember if they said 2.5 hours or 3.5 hours. The labor would cost me a minimum of $300. if the 2.5 hours is correct. PLUS 10 hours of driving time and a hotel for a night. Now the GOOD PART!! I just had a glass chip/crack company come to my home to fix a tiny crack. He had that fixed in 10 minutes. I did show him the horrible seal. Long story short (uh huh) the seal is NOT glued in as the dealers told me. It was removed in 60 seconds with just a hooked pick. It did not take much force to do that. The repairman cleaned the area and, without any lubrication, just forced the new seal in place!! All done in 10 minutes!!! YEAAAAA! That guy walked away with a nice crispy $100. bill in his hands. My son has a duplicate of my vehicle in California. He has the same seal problem. He will be happy to hear this news. Just thought everyone might like to hear this story.