General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

onboard aircompressor uses

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 08:37 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default onboard aircompressor uses

I recently purchased a 2011 LR4, have added rover rack expedition with wind farring and rock sliders. still need the winch but have all other basic recovery gear. One thing i would love to do is tie into the onboard air compressor or compressor tank to fill the tires with air. I was at the Biltmore and they mentioned this to me, without knowledge of it being done just knowing one exists. it seems if we could tie into this it could be fairly inexpensive to run lines and just bring a hose to reach all the tires. does anybody even know how the system works, does it have a tank or just a compressor for the shocks, if just a compressor how would you trigger it to kick in when you had to fill a tire. I've looked everywhere and found tons of hoses and piping leading here and there but am not sure what i am seeing. I am not very auto savy. Help, i want to set this up. it would be so sweet.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

All of the air suspension cars and SUV's that I have ever know about do not have a air storage tank, they fill the air springs with the compressor and the compressor is not strong enough to fill a tire.

I have no idea about the LR4 set up though.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I have a DC powered air compressor mounted inside one of my office toys, a Lull 10,000 pound rated telescope boom rough terrain 4WD forklift. Weighs about 26,000 pounds, huge tires about as tall as me. Mine came from the USMC, and the air compressor would allow tires to be deflated if needed, or inflated. It runs from the 24 volt electrical system, but just has a regular air hose, not a direct connection. Main power is a John Deere 360 cubic inch six in line six, turbo, diesel, 165 HP, 70 gallons of fuel.

So the concept of having something larger than those baby portable roadside 12 volt compressors is workable. You need large size wire, like what is used for a starter cable.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:28 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Factory air pumps are not designed for long use, high pressure or anything other then keeping the suspension aired up.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:07 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts