General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Overheating 2004 D2 after distance

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 04:25 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating 2004 D2 after distance

I bought a 2004 Discovery with 75k and started driving it back home. Traveled about 90 miles and stopped for fuel. Getting back on the road as i accelerated onto the interstate the temp started to rise. Pulled off and found the coolant level low. Replaced about half gallon and drove another 200 miles on the interstate without trouble. Stopped for the night and replaced about 1/2 gal in the morning before heading home. Traveled another 200 miles before siting in traffic just off the interstate and had another temp rise and a need for another half gallon of coolant. I see no exterior leaks. Bought a replacement thermostat hoping that is the problem but where is the coolant going? So i suppose I am burning it off thru a leak in the head gasket? Haven't replace the thermo yet and also have Blue Devil Head gaskets fluid to try. I am not a real mechanic and am afraid to do anything without experienced advice. HELP!

Old 10-18-2015, 05:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Check the oil level and check the oil clarity, milk chocolate means coolant is in the crankcase. White steam that smells like coolant coming from the exhaust would be combustion indicator. How did the motor sound while running, missing? Spark plugs that are steam cleaned have a white insulator like brand new plugs. Compression test on motor and a cooling system pressure test will tell if and where.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisb1342
I bought a 2004 Discovery with 75k and started driving it back home. Traveled about 90 miles and stopped for fuel. Getting back on the road as i accelerated onto the interstate the temp started to rise. Pulled off and found the coolant level low. Replaced about half gallon and drove another 200 miles on the interstate without trouble. Stopped for the night and replaced about 1/2 gal in the morning before heading home. Traveled another 200 miles before siting in traffic just off the interstate and had another temp rise and a need for another half gallon of coolant. I see no exterior leaks. Bought a replacement thermostat hoping that is the problem but where is the coolant going? So i suppose I am burning it off thru a leak in the head gasket? Haven't replace the thermo yet and also have Blue Devil Head gaskets fluid to try. I am not a real mechanic and am afraid to do anything without experienced advice. HELP!
So you bought a discovery and barely made it to your first pit-stop before you over-heated on the side of the road?? Why didn't you call the seller to come pick you and that truck up and bring you back?? That's ridiculous as I didn't read where you said you were purchasing a vehicle with known mechanical failures. Did you get screwed or what?

Old 10-20-2015, 03:47 AM
4th Gear

chubbs Pit stop occurred at 21:30 saturday night, dealership closed and coolant solved the problem initially.

ihscout, Thanks.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:45 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

pressure test the cooling system you may be lucky, could be something leaking on the engine and burning off.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

I'm sure you contacted them and explained the problem. Im curious to know their response to this fiasco. Sorry to hear this.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:30 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by chrisb1342
Another good way is to check the oil since water sinks in oil, if you leave it over night and in the morning open the drain plug if it's leaking in then you have a bad head gasket.