General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

P0340 Trouble Code - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 11:34 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0340 Trouble Code - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction

My Ultra gauge reports a P0340. I looked it up, translates to "Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction" but I'm not sure what to do.

It started to show after a ~100mile trip. Before the trip I replenished coolant and oil. I think I accidentally overfilled the oil slightly, the oil dipper rod shows about a thumb above max. Not sure if there could be a relation? No clue.

Truck drives absolutely normal - no other codes, starts fine, no power loss.

Any ideas?

Thanks Jacques

Last edited by couzteau; 01-31-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Oil pool overfill if in contact with crankshaft as it rotates would not be desired. With most Rovers this will take care of itself automatically every night (lol). But you might want to drain out a bit before replacing a $300 sensor.

That would be the Cam Position Sensor, announcing that it is no longer changing from "low" to "high" volts every revolution of the cam shaft. This is not the Crank Position Sensor (that's on the back of the engine). This one is on the front cover of the engine, see attached pix, behind the belt and pulleys. Has a connector that can be wiggled. Note that it unnatural for a Rover engine to be this clean...

The cam position sensor code can be cleared but may come back in two drive cycles.

Expensive as far as sensors go. Would check connection first. Most likely has O ring behind it as it is in the front cover, held by one bolt. The nose of the sensor is very close to the timing gears and reacts to the four slots milled in the gear.

The ECU has a plan "B" if this sensor fails, so that is why your are still running.

see Sensor Camshaft | Land Rover Engine Parts at RoverParts.com and attached info pages.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 cam position sensor code.pdf (745.9 KB, 1756 views)
File Type: pdf
d2 cps pix.pdf (434.0 KB, 1569 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 02-01-2012 at 04:40 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

The cam shaft sensor is located on the passenger front on the front cover seal, pretty high up. It is possible it has failed, but I would check the electrical connection to make sure there is no contamination which could show a malfunction code instead of the other either high or low output signal codes that could have come up.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Drifting

Thank you both - Sanvannah, Mike

will come back with my findings. Much appreciated.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:41 PM
Drifting

Thanks again, I promised an update: The error code just went away. Not sure if that is related to the oil level which has gone back to normal by LR magic

Old 03-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by couzteau
Thanks again, I promised an update: The error code just went away. Not sure if that is related to the oil level which has gone back to normal by LR magic
Happened to me as well. One week the code was there, the next it wasn't. Come to think of it, I think I over-serviced the oil during the last change... the dipstick finally reads "FULL" now, and the code is gone. Magic!

Old 07-05-2012, 03:54 PM
1st Gear
Default 2006 Range Rover Sport Camshaft Sensor Location

I have been searching far and wide and cannot seem to find a diagram that shows where this is on my engine. I have looked all over the engine as well and have given up. Anyone can help you would be more than appreciated! I cannot find anything near the front of the engine that resembles a sensor other than the 2 that wire in near the oil filter. zdgrieshop @ gmail . com if you can help.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Drifting

This is solved, see my last post on this thread: https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...-advice-51777/

Old 08-02-2024, 06:59 AM
1st Gear

would running a heavy oil like Rotax cause the same error as the overfilled oil?

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Oil pool overfill if in contact with crankshaft as it rotates would not be desired. With most Rovers this will take care of itself automatically every night (lol). But you might want to drain out a bit before replacing a $300 sensor.

That would be the Cam Position Sensor, announcing that it is no longer changing from "low" to "high" volts every revolution of the cam shaft. This is not the Crank Position Sensor (that's on the back of the engine). This one is on the front cover of the engine, see attached pix, behind the belt and pulleys. Has a connector that can be wiggled. Note that it unnatural for a Rover engine to be this clean...

The cam position sensor code can be cleared but may come back in two drive cycles.

Expensive as far as sensors go. Would check connection first. Most likely has O ring behind it as it is in the front cover, held by one bolt. The nose of the sensor is very close to the timing gears and reacts to the four slots milled in the gear.

The ECU has a plan "B" if this sensor fails, so that is why your are still running.

see Sensor Camshaft | Land Rover Engine Parts at RoverParts.com and attached info pages.

Old 08-02-2024, 08:06 AM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

Twelve years later...