General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

parts issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:45 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parts issues

right. i'm not if this is were I am meant to post this or if any of you can help me, as this is a strange request but its worth a go.

right i am currently taking engineering at college, and i've been set an assignment, and one of the tasks is to research generic parts, and how such company's as land rover use them, i have to locate the following items in a land rover, and explain why they have been used instead of another method, and im really struggling and can't find anything on the internet to help me.

any help with this would be great. even if its a website that will guide me.

sorry for asking such a strange question just thought you guys would know about this sort of stuff

jacob

 rotary lip seal with wiper ring
 shim or shim pack
 thrust bearing
 parallel roller bearing
 needle bearing
 stud
 set screw
 tab washer
 rivet

Old 01-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All yor parts listed are located in the swivel ball of a Discovery 1 or a defender front axle

rotary lip seal with wiper ring...... swivelaball seal, easiest cheapest way to do it
shim or shim pack.....swivelball pin adjustment, again its easy and cheap
thrust bearing......swivel ball has them also, bushings just wouldnt last very long
parallel roller bearing......wheel bearings, dont know of anyother way of doing it
needle bearing......they are in the swivel also, bushings wont last very long
stud......hold the wheel on, guess you could use bolts but stud an nut are stronger
set screw..... sorry i cant think of one off the top of my head
tab washer......keep the wheel bearing nuts from coming loose, simple and it works
rivet......uhmmmm drawing a blank there also

hope that helps you some
heres a link that has exploded view of the swivel... https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=29915