General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Paying too much for your oil filters?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 06:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Rover_Hokie
I run the Amsoil filters with long drain intervals with Amsoil, and I get great oil with great filtration and it works out to a fair price. I have had oil analysis done on my D2 oil to gain more confidence that is is still doing the job over the years I have had the D2, and now run the oil a little longer than when I first began using it with good results. To each there own. I do like Wix, NAPA Gold, Baldwin, and Donaldson products as well, and use them on my older MB that Amsoil does not make a filter for, so just change the filter and top off the Amsoil for those long drain intervals.
If I did not have things to grease then I would consider something like Amsoil or Royal Purple and doing the extended drain intervals.
But knowing myself I would never crawl under the truck to grease the propshafts if I was not changing the oil too.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:58 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Tom, is there a similar comparison to Purolator / MANN? Is there a WIX with the jumbo capacity?
Haven't seen one, but they may have the design info on their web sites. Or a phone call should get you the info.

I ran one of these once:
Wix 51773 which has a two quart capacity and is 6.982" tall.
Name:  Wix51773.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  6.3 KB

But I went back to the 51515 because I didn't feel there was any real benefit plus it was in the way of relocating the steering damper to the front of the axle.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
I came across this the other day:
http://www.bullittarchive.com/5000/5...arison_Kit.pdf
Note where the by-pass valve is located in the expensive Mobil1 and K&N filters.
I've always trusted the Wix quality.
This is pretty awesome. I'm going to have to cut open one of my Coopers filters when I remove it to see how it's constructed. I'm not sure how to tell the difference between nitrile and silicone though.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I had a K&N 3001 filter that I picked up at a local chain store as part of a combination deal, but after seeing that comparison graphic I was concerned that the relief valve was at the top of the filter which could allow the contaminants to re-enter the oil during bypass flow. But looking at the filter, it seems like the bypass is at the bottom of the filter. Looking at the attached picture, you can see the relief spring.

This doesn't change the fact that at $13.99 each (local retail), these filters are $8 more than the equivalent or slightly better Wix 51515 that I just bought. Of course, they do have a snazzy graphic and that 1" nut thingy.

Attached Thumbnails Paying too much for your oil filters?-relief-valve.jpg  

Last edited by 04duxlr; 02-28-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:32 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
I had a K&N 3001 filter that I picked up at a local chain store as part of a combination deal, but after seeing that comparison graphic I was concerned that the relief valve was at the top of the filter which could allow the contaminants to re-enter the oil during bypass flow. But looking at the filter, it seems like the bypass is at the bottom of the filter. Looking at the attached picture, you can see the relief spring.

This doesn't change the fact that at $13.99 each (local retail), these filters are $8 more than the equivalent or slightly better Wix 51515 that I just bought. Of course, they do have a snazzy graphic and that 1" nut thingy.
And that is what you are paying for, snazzy paint and a $.03 nut welded to the bottom.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:33 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jafir
This is pretty awesome. I'm going to have to cut open one of my Coopers filters when I remove it to see how it's constructed. I'm not sure how to tell the difference between nitrile and silicone though.
Youtube, tons of guys cutting open oil filters on there.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts
Cool

fwiw...and I dont have much proof...

the "Parts Master " filters at Advantage Auto parts chain stores use the same numbers as the Wix filters (they just add an extra "5" in front of the wix #) I was told several times by the guys there that I trust, that Wix makes all their filters air/oil/fuel etc...

they also sell wix .....one time , feeling rich....I ordered one of each and weighed them....same weight....I didnt tear them apart so I cant verify the inner construction....but its likely they may be the same filter and the Parts Master ones are a few bucks cheaper....maybe someone else here can add more to this ?

Old 02-28-2013, 08:57 PM
Pro Wrench

Here's a thread on the Parts Master and Wix connection:
Parts Master by Wix? - Bob Is The Oil Guy
Sounds plausible. For what it's worth, we have had plenty of company vehicles in our fleet that have had their oil changed at Jiffy Lube at 6,000 mile intervals using their crappy filters that have run for well over 200,000 miles. It would seem to me that filter quality is much more of an issue when running an engine that has been previously loaded up with sludge and crap than one that is in good shape. With more frequent oil changes that sludge will get flushed out and it would be best to trap it.

My engine is fairly new and seems to be nice and clean inside, but I'm still going to use a Wix filter because they are still pretty cheap. But if I slapped a Purolator or some house brand on it, I'm sure I wouldn't be dooming my engine to a shortened lifespan.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Youtube, tons of guys cutting open oil filters on there.
Yeah, when I google coopers, they think I'm looking for mini cooper instead of a brand of filters.... stupid google. ;-)

Old 02-28-2013, 10:04 PM
Pro Wrench

If you cut one of those open clowns come out.

Quick Reply: Paying too much for your oil filters?