General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Please help!!! discomike, elemental ... anyone!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 03:31 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help!!! discomike, elemental ... anyone!

2003 disco II 81,000

I've been reading posts for hours and hours and hours, so I decided to see if you guys would help me.

Here goes. A couple of months ago ses light comes on. A few days later, I noticed a very slight skip in the engine. Most people probably would not have even noticed this skip. But it got worse to the point of feeling almost like it dropped a cylinder or something. At this point, check engine light now flashing. No dealer in the immediate area, so I'm on my way to the nearest hook line and sinker mechanic shop (sunliner). Charged me $85 to tell me they wanted to charge me $1200 to change plugs, wires, o2 sensors, air filter, all coil packs, fule filter and do an injection servicing. The diagnostic showed misfires 2 and 3, multiple misfires, bank 2 sensor 1, etc... ... paid the 85 and left.

Went home and changed plugs and wires after talking to the service manager of the dealership that i got the rover from over the phone. No luck. After reading several posts, changed o2 sensors, went ahead and did all 4 for the hell of it, bad idea, got laid off the next day!

anyway, this fixed it, or so i thought. It is now a month later, the light is back as well as the skip, and getting worse just as last time, but now no income and no backup car.

here are the codes:

0150, 1590, 0174, 0302, 1174, 0159

checked the o2 sensors at the dealer with car running, values seem to be correct and consistent. I'm thinking maf, or vacuum leak, or a million other things, but now i need a real mechanic to help diagnose correctly the first time because money is extremely tight, but I need my car.

any help would be spectacular ... by the way this is my first rover, hopefully not my last, but i am getting prett frustrated

thanks guys

Old 04-05-2008, 03:34 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Please help!!! discomike, elemental ... anyone!

forgot to mention, not that it matters, but I too encountered the 3 amigos 3 weeks after purchasing the car with no warranty (didn't know anything about rovers at the time, stupid me) and they have been hanging out with me every since.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Call me.
303-862-7680
Colorado before 8 pm

Old 04-06-2008, 05:03 PM
5th Gear

found some new symptoms .... when i give the gas a quick tap i can hear very disctinctly a sucking noise which i seems to be coming from the airbox, kinda sounds like an old carburetor when it sucks air and needs to be adjusted. there is also a puddle behind the car beneath the muffler everytime i run the car, can't really tell what it is, but it does smell a little like gas, i just can't tell for sure

discomike ... i have cleaned the airbox and replaced the air filter, i have also tightend the seal between the airbox and where the maf is and then i taped around it pretty heavily just to be sure there was no leak

i also cleared the codes, no codes have come back but car still running like crap. I also haven't actually driven it, i have only started it up in the driveway and let it run for a few minutes, which is how i discovered the puddle

i think that is it so far.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:41 PM
5th Gear

mike had asked me if i had noticed the transmission feeling like it was searching for a gear, specifically the higher gears ... well i drove around today to see if i noticed anything, and i am pretty sure it is doing what he was describing ...

anyone know what this means?

Old 04-07-2008, 12:08 AM
Three Wheeling

when it does that i normally means your mass air flow meter is shot. the ecm takes calculated load values for transmission shift strategy from your maf sensor and as far as the misfire codes make sure your coils didnt take a crap.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:05 AM
Administrator

"YUP"!
That puts you one step closer to a new MAF.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:56 AM
5th Gear

ok folks, couple of questions ... any help is greatly appreciated.
i have confirmed that one of my o2 sensors is bad, but it was brand new. I realize that it could have been bad off of the shelf, but my question is .... what could cause an o2 sensor to go after only 3 or 4 weeks if it wasn't bad off the shelf?

2 more questions?

what would a bad maf cause? (could it cause the truck to "burn up" o2 sensors)
and
where can i get an maf ... is there anywhere that i could get one today?

thanks everyone

Old 04-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

does it ever backfire? if it does its a mass air, or a very large intake leak. ive never seen a 150 code, aftermarket sensors?.. how did you confirm the bad o2 sensor... dont worry about the coils, theyre fine. check the hose comming off the intake tube, to the IAC valve and then past the throttle body, make sure its not craked or broken.

[/align]

Old 04-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Don't worry about what may have caused the 02 to fail, by the way, what is the exact fault code? Did you replace all 4 02 sensors?