Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DiscoMike, okdiscoguy, and other wise men

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 10:17 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DiscoMike, okdiscoguy, and other wise men

Disco Mike, okdiscoguy, anyone who can help
I am new to this board and I have spent several hours over the last few of days looking through posts dating back the last couple of months. I had posted a couple of days ago about me considering buying a 03-04 Dicovery. In that post I thouroughly describedhow I intend to use the vehicle but I will recap. Iwill use the vehicle as a daily driver, 25 miles per day all on city streets. Limited highway use. I will tow a 6500lb boat from time to time. Mostly short hauls but a couple 2-3 hour hauls per summer. High octane fuel use nor mileage isof premium concern. Tire wear for a full time 4WD is undestood. I live in Texas so the ac must work well. I will rarely have the vehicle off road but will use to go camping and haul a canoe on the roof. I am mechanically inclined and I have the interest and ability to complete most maintenace procedures. I further understand that parts for these vehicles are not typically available at the local auto parts shop.I have a few questions that I would like to hear your feedback on.
[ol][*]Other than appearance and creature comforts whatare the primary differences between the the Range Rover and the Discovery? Is one better suited to how I will use the vehicle?[*]If I am looking for a 2002-2004 Discovery what should I keep in mind.As an example,I read where the 03s arent as good for off roading (or at least the locking hubcapabilities) as the 04s. Given the way I want to use the vehicle what are things that I need to be aware of when you compare 2002, 2003, 2004?[*]It appears that in most of the experiences I read about there was a period of adjustment and maintenance when someone first bought there new LR. Is it reasonable for me to thisnk thatonce I get through that period and work ouor fix some of the initial issues that the vehicle can be a very reliable ride for me? My specific question is that I intend to take at leat 2 trips per year (mostly highway) that will total more than 2500 miles per trip. Once I work the initial issues out will I be able to rely on the vehicle to haul my family accross the country 2x per year?[*]Do you know of a good LR guy here in the Dallas, TX area?Someone I might have to inspect a few vehicles when I find one I am considering purchasing?[*]I keep hearing that these vehicles are very "individual". Given your experiencewhat are the characteristics of a solid vehicle? What are the key things would you look for if you were purchasing a used LR?[*]Given the info you have learned about what I'm interested in and how the vehicle will be used, doyou know of a particular vehicle I should consider purchasing?[*]Are there special tools needed for standard maintenace or otherwise?[*]Are there independent parts housesavailable for parts and accessories? Any with an online catelogue/presences? If so, who/what are they?[/ol]
I realize these questions are numerous and I thank all who respond in advance. I am excited to start my LR experience and the more I learn about them the more I think it is the perfect vehicle for me. Although I do have to say that when I hear someone say, "I am a mechanic and I just cant keep up with this vehicle" I get a little concerned. I realize this could be like the "cobbler growing tired of mending his own kid'sshoes"but I'm just looking for feedback. Thanks for letting me ramble.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: DiscoMike, okdiscoguy, and other wise men

There will be the initial period where you will have to iron out wrinkles, but with proper maintenance along thw way you should be fine. I think range rover and disco's have nominal differences in off-road performance though some will disagree, and for the use you suggested a disco is in order. As far as purchasing the right rig you just really can only do the best you can in inspecting it. Find a vehicle inspection service that is familiar with rovers and have them give it a once over. Document this and be sure you get some sort of garuntee. I was brave (or stupid) enough to purchase mine on ebay and it was succesful. But inspect inspect inspect. Mileage is important of course. At around the 30,000 or 60,000 range be prepared to do large initial services that most likely were not done by the previous owner. Never assume unless documented that previous maintaince has been done. I have not run into any special tools needed for a disco YET. You may want to consider buying an engine code readeronce you start getting codes allwing you to easily read and delete them. If you do a google search there are numerous sources for parts that are cheaper then stock. Atlantic British comes to mind but many more exist. I think the amount of research you've done gives you the edge you need to carve out the right rover. Be sure you have a extended warranty and really, you'll be fine. Welcome to the forum!

Old 06-24-2007, 12:06 AM
Rock Crawling

hiljak, I live in Dallas too (Carrollton). I will say I think the A/C could be better, but I've never checked the pressures since I got the vehicle so it might need a top up on freon? The vents are blowing about 48-50°F, most other cars I've owned blow in the lower 40°s, some as low as 38°F. It just hasn't been a priority yet for me to check the freon pressures as it's a 2nd car for me. And we've been lucky as far as the heat goes here so far this year.

There is an independant who is on this website, they've been veryheplful to me with advice. I've not used them yet to do any work as I like to most things myself, depending on how much time I have. Their website: www.motorcarsltd.comLook at the "Need service & repair" tab at the top of the page and it will show you a link to their "Dallas" location. They are actually in Carrollton.A couple of other people have recommended them to me that had work donethere. Then there's the OEM dealerLand Rover of Dallas on central expwy.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:35 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If I were to buy another Disco. I would buy an 04 for a few reasons. The last and best of the D2 line, new upgrades to the tranny and t/case as well as a few upgrades to the engine, it has the CDL, locking t/case for better traction and will hold its value better then eariler years. By the way I have been driving my current 99 D2 for the past 5 years and wouldn't part with it.
Yes you have alot of questions so if you would like to call me in Colorado at 303-862-7680 I would be glad to help you.
Mike

Old 06-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Your A/C will get colder as it runs out of freon - the pressure differential increases - then it may freeze up on low fan speeds until it finally doesn't have enough to do anything.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:37 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: hiljak

Disco Mike, okdiscoguy, anyone who can help
I am new to this board and I have spent several hours over the last few of days looking through posts dating back the last couple of months. I had posted a couple of days ago about me considering buying a 03-04 Dicovery. In that post I thouroughly described how I intend to use the vehicle but I will recap. Iwill use the vehicle as a daily driver, 25 miles per day all on city streets. Limited highway use. I will tow a 6500lb boat from time to time. Mostly short hauls but a couple 2-3 hour hauls per summer. High octane fuel use nor mileage is of premium concern. Tire wear for a full time 4WD is undestood. I live in Texas so the ac must work well. I will rarely have the vehicle off road but will use to go camping and haul a canoe on the roof. I am mechanically inclined and I have the interest and ability to complete most maintenace procedures. I further understand that parts for these vehicles are not typically available at the local auto parts shop. I have a few questions that I would like to hear your feedback on.
[ol][*]Other than appearance and creature comforts what are the primary differences between the the Range Rover and the Discovery? Is one better suited to how I will use the vehicle?[*]If I am looking for a 2002-2004 Discovery what should I keep in mind. As an example, I read where the 03s arent as good for off roading (or at least the locking hub capabilities) as the 04s. Given the way I want to use the vehicle what are things that I need to be aware of when you compare 2002, 2003, 2004?[*]It appears that in most of the experiences I read about there was a period of adjustment and maintenance when someone first bought there new LR. Is it reasonable for me to thisnk that once I get through that period and work ouor fix some of the initial issues that the vehicle can be a very reliable ride for me? My specific question is that I intend to take at leat 2 trips per year (mostly highway) that will total more than 2500 miles per trip. Once I work the initial issues out will I be able to rely on the vehicle to haul my family accross the country 2x per year?[*]Do you know of a good LR guy here in the Dallas, TX area? Someone I might have to inspect a few vehicles when I find one I am considering purchasing?[*]I keep hearing that these vehicles are very "individual". Given your experience what are the characteristics of a solid vehicle? What are the key things would you look for if you were purchasing a used LR?[*]Given the info you have learned about what I'm interested in and how the vehicle will be used, do you know of a particular vehicle I should consider purchasing?[*]Are there special tools needed for standard maintenace or otherwise?[*]Are there independent parts houses available for parts and accessories? Any with an online catelogue/presences? If so, who/what are they?[/ol]
I realize these questions are numerous and I thank all who respond in advance. I am excited to start my LR experience and the more I learn about them the more I think it is the perfect vehicle for me. Although I do have to say that when I hear someone say, "I am a mechanic and I just cant keep up with this vehicle" I get a little concerned. I realize this could be like the "cobbler growing tired of mending his own kid's shoes" but I'm just looking for feedback. Thanks for letting me ramble.
I have used www.northtexasrover.com/home.html
This the Dallas LR Club www.texasrovers.org