General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Possible Becm problem, trouble-shooting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 04:37 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Becm problem, trouble-shooting?

Hello, first timer here, and could use some help...

I have a 2000 RR 4.6 HSE, with some issues.

- My sunroof does not function at all, and I do not hear a motor running.
- I get no response from the left turn signal indicator and information buttons, like "miles to empty", "miles per gallon", etc., which do not appear whenthe buttonsarepushed.
- Remote keys do not function. Batteries are good, dealer could not program the key, nor cold I.
- Vehicle starts and runs fine.
- Thedriver-side speakers function, but at a fraction of the volume of the right side.
- The left side of the radio's LCD does not show text, and all radio messages are crammed into the right half of the LCD.

My fear is that it isa Becm problem, but I read that I should replace the engine fuse-box first, before assuming that it is a Becm problem?Howwould replacing the engine fuse box help, if it appears that all of myissues seem to be related to the fuse box under the passenger seat, attached to the Becm?

Is it possible or likely: That I simply need to replace the sunroof motor or switch? That I need to replace the remote key receiver? That I have somehow blown the left channels in the radio? etc.?

Could these issues be repaired repaired bydealer by simply re-programingthe Becm, byusing their diagnosis tools? I am afraid to take the vehicle to the dealer withouthaving any knowledge of the possible fixex, thinking they'll just tell me to replace the Becm? I've been taken so many times by my BMW dealer, and would like to have some back-up knowledge before I go in.

Thank you to anybodyis willing toprovide to me, thatmaybe helpful in fixing, pinpointing,or diagnosing, these issues. It would be greatly appreciated!