General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

problem???

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 03:37 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem???

I was driving in fields today and when i got back on the road i heard a loud bang and then if i take out a gear whilst moving the whole landy starts to vibrate roughly and when i steer it feels like it s going everywhere. could it be a center bolt on the front axle or is it probably a more serious problem???

Thanks,
Daniel

Old 01-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Could be almost anything, you are going to have to look and see what it broken.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:13 AM
Overlanding

I jacked it up this morning and everything (suspention related seems to be fine), i tightened up the steering box adjuster cause i had some play in the wheel and reduced one of the shims on the diff wheels(the ones on top that are only on the front diff). I noticed that when I steer almost fully to the right the left side steering arm touches the spring is that normal?? i also found out that the landy was stuck on 4x4 so could the banging have been the transfer box???

the diffs seem fine no slack and bearings seem to turn free without too much friction

Also one of the previous owners messed with the springs as i have 12 on the drivers side and 11 on the passenger side (where the steering arm touches) but still it is slightly lower on the drivers side could it be chassis misalignment???

Any tips would be useful as this is my first land rover and it s driving me crazy lol

Old 01-07-2012, 01:38 AM
Drifting

The Land rover is permanent 4x4 vehicle so no doubt it is stuck in 4x4
if by any chance you had CDL engaged on mind anything could happen when driven with CDL ON on solid surface
question- did u lock the diff and forgot to unlock it?
how did you found out its "stuck in 4x4"

Old 01-07-2012, 02:30 AM
Overlanding

no mine is a series 2 so it has the old 4 speed box with 3 levers one for the gears (black ****) one to engage 4x4 (yellow/white ****) and the other to switch between high and low (red ****) at least according to the manual that s their job.

No the diffs don t lock on mine ( or i don t know how)

I noticed this cause when i jacked it and tried to turn the front wheels they wouldn t turn but when i jacked it to grease it last month they did. I then fiddled with the gear ***** and tapped on the transfer box and it got unstuck.

from some research i did transfer boxes like mine don t have differentials so they are not to be used on the road........ if that s correct could it be that that is the problem and all i have to do is not use 4x4 ??

Old 01-07-2012, 07:42 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You are a hard on to follow. What year is your truck, do you have CDL, was it engaged when you were playing? What do you mean you have 3 shift sticks, a D2 only has 2, the tranny and the T/case, do you not have a factory T/Case?

Old 01-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is hilarious, you have a series 2, with leaf springs and part time 4x4, while we all expected you to be talking of a Disco or something similar.
More than likely, you broke a shaft or axle, since you took it out of 4x4 and still could drive, it means you broke one in the front. Almost always is the long one. To make sure, lift the front end and turn one tire, the other should turn in the opposite direction. If it doesn't, you broke a shaft. And, no your car does not have a locking diffs. If you take it out of 4x4, and it does not drive, then you broke a rear axle. I am sure you know that once you engage the front diff by pushing down the yellow lever, you must engage the red lever in 4 low to disengage the yellow one. Kind of a pain. I grew up in Costa Rica and my grandpa had many of those Land Rovers. I know them well.

Last edited by leadfoot; 01-07-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Overlanding

lead foot it is a series 2 land rover with leaf springs lol the front shafts are fine although if i turn the right wheel the left one will turn in the opposite direction but if i turn the left wheel the right doesn t turn

what i found that s bad so far is the front axle has no oil not in the diff section nor in the parts where it steers so monday morning i ll go buy some oil

Old 01-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts
Old 01-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

This is why it is so important to tell us what year and model you have.

Quick Reply: problem???