General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Propshaft Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 09:15 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't use friction washers

Originally Posted by antichrist
There's no need to replace them if they are in good shape. Just use new nylock nuts on them. Or you can use split washers and regular nuts (which is what I use).
Go with either new nyloc nuts, crush nuts (my preference) or low-end loctite. Never use split washers on anything automotive - that's asking for trouble, especially in critical areas.

I say this as a former technical sales and warranty manager for final assembly tools to the automotive manufacturers (just about all car makers rely on these high-end tools) for the firm Atlas Copco (owns Chicago Pneumatic and Milwaukee Electric, among many brands). Demanding fastening applications is their specialty.

The reason not to use split washers is - they're split - not reliable. Actually, all so-called "friction" washers (split, serrated etc) are garbage, but that's a long story - just don't use them, the automotive industry doesn't.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Yeah, I agree. And a good point.
I do use them when I'm short on self-locking nuts and haven't had them come loose. I normally go back and replace them with self locking, but there have been times when I forgot to and 2 years later they were still tight.

But yeah, use self-locking nuts.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Is there a torque spec for the bolts for re-intalling?

Old 03-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Baja

35 ft lb.
56 ft lb at the rotoflex.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Ok cool. Where were you guys able to find the right nylock nuts? Lowes has 3/8-16 TPI Nylocks but not 3/8-24 TPI. I also tried home-depot to no avail. I hope I don't have to order deez nuts.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:53 PM
Baja

Try a real hardware store.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle

lol yeah none of the hardware "hardware" stores were open when I was out but I'll check tomorrow. Anyways I've got on more question. I just got my drive shaft rebuilt by a shop today and after inspecting it I noticed that grease does not come out of all four ends of the cross's on the u-joints. It's basically comes out at most ends except for a few. Is that something to worry about? I'm afraid to over grease it and I figured a shop would have it taken care of. Am I good to go?

Old 03-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Baja

Yes, something to worry about.
Tap on the yoke opposite the one where it doesn't come out, with a brass hammer, a block of wood if you don't have a brass hammer. As illustrated in the photo in post #1.
It's not possible to over grease the u-joints.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
lol yeah none of the hardware "hardware" stores were open when I was out but I'll check tomorrow. Anyways I've got on more question. I just got my drive shaft rebuilt by a shop today and after inspecting it I noticed that grease does not come out of all four ends of the cross's on the u-joints. It's basically comes out at most ends except for a few. Is that something to worry about? I'm afraid to over grease it and I figured a shop would have it taken care of. Am I good to go?
I found the grease in my new U joints had hardened to a candle wax state, I cleared the grease out of the X before installing the new U joints.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts

Tom, yet another question, believe it or not. The centering ball you specify at the beginning of this thread is the Neapco 7-0081NG, where I believe NG stands for non-greasable.

In another forum I have read that the centering ball should be greased regularly, just like the the u-joints, using a needle-style nozzle on the grease gun. But if this Neapco joint is non-greasable that would indicate this is not possible. Can you please help resolve this apparent discrepancy? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Propshaft Rebuild