General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Question on a used Land Rover? Thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 11:58 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on a used Land Rover? Thanks!

Hi Guys! I am new to this forum. I would really appreciate some help! I have been an fan of the Land Rover product for over 10 years, I am looking into buying my first Land Rover. I have been looking at a few used Discovery's in my area. I started to wonder if there are any bad years or problematic issues with some Discovery's? What would you consider the better years to own and why? I would love to get a Defender like most, but they are a bit out of my price range and I do like having the extra doors as I have kids!!!! I do go four wheeling (although light compared to most) I have another brand 4X4 that has served me very well over the past 10 plus years, but I really love the Land Rover brand! Thank you again for your help!

Joe G.

Old 03-11-2006, 06:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question on a used Land Rover? Thanks!

Hello welcome

Well to start you off The discovery is not really problematic it's like this There are some defaults on others and in some that seem to never wear down no matter the miles. Acording to J.d power asscoicates (ASSWIPES) They rate the 94-96 the worse of years mostly because of sensors small electric things going out basicly small stuff in some the Head gaskets would blow but I personally think that is due to the vehicle not being serviced correctly as the Discovery in my opinion is one the best built 4x4's out there very strong steel I mean STEEL frame heavy duty drivetrain strong axles some will disagree about that. The better years hmmm! This is hard for me because i like all discoveries I would say the discovery2 99-04 as most problems with eariler discoveries were ironed out. The thing with the D2 is that it lacks a Diff lock It has low range but not a Diff lock If your wondering what a Diff lock is It's what transmitts power to both axles for 50/50 power in a four wheels most recommeded it in the mud or very wet terrain. The D2 has traction control in place for a diff lock which is okay but for more traction the Diff lock is more user friendly. Also with the D2 it is a little larger so what might fit a D1 won't fit a D2 definetly on some trails but the D2 ain't no hummer It fit most trails with ease unlike other 4x4's. So if your gonna be doing wheeling and want a newer discovery than get a D2 but once you do save for a Diff lock if your not to worried about years and is pretty handy then any Discovery rather a D1 or D2 will suit your Fancy. One more thing Discos are very is easy to work on as you learn with time and will last a very long time some might even say forever okay just Joking[sm=lol.gif] but a very long time. Like you I really like the Defender but can't afford it so a D1 is it for me and I love it. By the way what is the other 4x4 company you have. Jeep,Yota,Ford,Chevy etc.