General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Radiator hose popped off-transmission now having difficulty

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radiator hose popped off-transmission now having difficulty

I know this sounds absolutely crazy, but I had just completed an oil change, filter etc on my rover and went to the hardware store. When I arrived, a small radiator hose that clamps on top of a canister next the radiator suddenly blew off, shooting anti-freeze everywhere.

I purchased a new clamp, filled it back with anti-freeze and the temperature gauge was temporarily all the way down, with a red light at the top. After several minutes, it popped back to normal.

The crazy part is that when I left the parking lot, my transmission suddenly started acting up and would not downshift properly, with the RPMs going far too high before the next downshift. When I slowed down, it upshifted at the wrong times, making the rover lurch forward as it went back to the 1-2 shift set. I checked the manual button and it was not engaged, nor did the dash indicater state it was.

Is there any possible way the coolant incident and my subsequent transmission issues are related. Does my transmission shift electrically and could the anti-freeze have shorted something out? It seems strangely coincidental that I blow a hose off and suddenly develop transmission trouble.

perplexed. Any ideas? It seems driving it just makes it worse, so I'm sitting here going through my manual trying to find a correlation of some kind.

thanks for any comments or help.