General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

random cylinder miss/sputter

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 04:31 PM
b c
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default random cylinder miss/sputter

I've been having a sputtering problem lately on my old 98 disco (190k). At first it was usually during idle. The engine would act as if one cylinder was missing for a few seconds and then smooth out again. That would happen 2 or 3 times and then go back to normal. But now it is doing it at freeway speed too. Same symptom-as if one cylinder was cutting out for a few seconds and then smooth again. This is happening more frequently now and I also noticed the speedometer losing its signal sometimes, though not necessarily during the sputtering.
I think from reading past posts on this issue that it must be the VSS (Vehicle speed sensor) failing. Does that sound right? I'd like to disconnect it to see if that solves the sputtering but here's the big question: where is the darn thing?? And will this require skinned knuckles?
Thanks in advance

Old 02-28-2014, 09:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

yes, sounds like the vss alright, its located on the transfer case, search a little and i'm sure there is a pic or 2. as far as the knuckles go....depends on how big your hands are LOL !
the connector isnt too bad to get at though.....good luck

Old 03-01-2014, 02:54 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Yeah, super easy in fact. Black connector in between brake drum and case. Allen head bolt at top.

You can kiss it. It's the most accessible of electrical connectors on the t case from the bottom of the car.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:45 AM
b c
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Guys. I actually did a lot of web surfing to determine just where the thing is located and I was a little confused because of the reference to the brake drum. I hadn't considered a brake drum at the transfer case (so thaaat's what the thing is!). I'll crawl under the old rig and disconnect the vss then drive it around this weekend with no speedo.If I don't have a sputter/shudder problem I'll know it was the vss.
Dang!I was just getting the grease out from under my fingernails from the last repair. I understand there are actually people out there who pay a mechanic to work on their rigs! What a concept!