General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rear airbags

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 10:52 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear airbags

When my rover is off sometimes the rear airbags go down sometimes not. Have to wait for them to go up after starting .yesterday when we got in they went back down . then ok again today.....Help!!!!????

Old 05-29-2014, 12:09 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Common fault!
Time for some new air springs!

Expect to pay about $350 a pair from Arnott's.
https://www.arnottindustries.com
T/V

Old 05-29-2014, 12:49 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just convert to regular springs and eliminate a lot of headaches.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:47 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well of course you can BUT consider the down grade.
First you have to re-program the slabs controller if you want to do it right.

If you tow like I do with blood stock they don't like the hard ride on steel!
My Paso Finos weight 1000 lbs each. The air ride springs transmit far less shock to my precious cargo. Let alone the kids in the back who like it as well.

If you want to see how a happy horse on air suspension competes see this:-
Real horse power--Oyez Caballos!
Frey Carriage Company - Catalog: Beekbergen - Apeldoorn 09 by Tim Maloy

And Green Ovals everywhere!
Frey Carriage Company - Catalog: Royal Windsor Horse Show 09 by Tim Maloy

T/V
p.s 2002 D2 250,000 miles on 2nd air spring set and third front prop. Original engine/drive train never torn down.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:58 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by bartleys
When my rover is off sometimes the rear airbags go down sometimes not. Have to wait for them to go up after starting .yesterday when we got in they went back down . then ok again today.....Help!!!!????
Nothing wrong with air suspension and consider how old it is! Even coil springs need changing every 10 years or so as they lose their elasticity also. If the air springs have done 10+ years you are doing well as RAVE recommends they are changed every 5 years. They are NOT a leave and forget item as they do have problems with perforations and compressor problems after 10 years and the best way to keep them good is to raise the SLS and wash them off when you wash the truck. If you need to change them see here: http://www.discovery2.co.uk/Rear%20Air%20Springs.html

I changed mine recently and also painted the location points top and bottom and it only takes a few hours. Personally I like the air suspension and it comes in useful sometimes and also a more refined fast ride on tarmac but if you are doing serious offroad events it's vulnerable to damage. Air suspension is also preferable for heavy trailer towing due to the SLS and I have done a lot of towing, in fact, tens of thousands of miles with loads from 2 tons to 3.5 tons at speeds of up to 80mph.

The other issue is that if you modify the rear suspension in theory your insurance company must be informed otherwise they can refuse to pay out in the case of an accident (as you know insurance companies like any excuse not to pay up) but that's another issue.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by bartleys
Nothing wrong with air suspension and consider how old it is! Even coil springs need changing every 10 years or so as they lose their elasticity also. If the air springs have done 10+ years you are doing well as RAVE recommends they are changed every 5 years. They are NOT a leave and forget item as they do have problems with perforations and compressor problems after 10 years and the best way to keep them good is to raise the SLS and wash them off when you wash the truck. If you need to change them see here: www.discovery2.co.uk / Rear Suspension Air Bags

I changed mine recently and also painted the location points top and bottom and it only takes a few hours. Personally I like the air suspension and it comes in useful sometimes and also a more refined fast ride on tarmac but if you are doing serious offroad events it's vulnerable to damage. Air suspension is also preferable for heavy trailer towing due to the SLS and I have done a lot of towing, in fact, tens of thousands of miles with loads from 2 tons to 3.5 tons at speeds of up to 80mph.

The other issue is that if you modify the rear suspension in theory your insurance company must be informed otherwise they can refuse to pay out in the case of an accident (as you know insurance companies like any excuse not to pay up) but that's another issue.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:59 PM

Sorry about the duplicate post, the internet is playing up this evening.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:58 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

that's OK it made so much scene i read it twice

Old 06-05-2014, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by drowssap
that's OK it made so much scene i read it twice
C'est mon plaisir