General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Removing engine from 2005 Range Rover HSE (4.4 liter)

Old 03-28-2015, 12:26 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing engine from 2005 Range Rover HSE (4.4 liter)

The oil separator kit didn't get replaced in time with my 2005 HSE, and cylinder #7 hydro-locked, snapping rod #7 into to pieces and the bottom half into the block. I have a new motor I am in the process of installing, and am removing the old one. I think it is pretty straight forward, but out of the possibility there are issues I will run into, thought I would post this for any tips. I have everything disconnected from the engine, and am now in the process of removing the front axle shafts from the differential, motor mounts, and torque converter from the flywheel.

I have a few specific questions, and if anyone has help for me it would be very much appreciated.

1.) Front axle shafts to front differential: It looks like the easiest way to remove the front axle shafts so I can disconnect them from the front differential attached to the bottom of the engine is to drop the front hubs at the ball joints. Anyone have a better idea or easier way of doing that?

2.) Motor Mounts: The motor mounts look to be easily accessible after removing the front axle shafts, so I don't anticipate any difficulty with that.

3.) Disconnecting torque converter from Flywheel: it looks like there are 4 bolts that connect it, and accessing them is through the starter hole. But in looking at the new engine, the holes are offset enough that direct access through the starter hole doesn't look easy.

Any tips would be very much appreciated!

Last edited by Jayhawker; 03-28-2015 at 07:31 PM.