General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

replaced vss etc...speedomter question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 08:03 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replaced vss etc...speedomter question

I have had my car diagnosed to determine why speedometer and odomoeter are not functioning..I had a new VSS installed...and wiring was evaluated ...the signal is getting in to the speed in part of the cluster circuit but am not getting anythng on the speed out....I replaced cluster with two others and still not working. I am at my wits end and have spent a total of about $500 in the three hours labor to diagnose including the cost of the VSS at $180....What more should I look for?

Thanks in Advance,

Old 02-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They charged you for diagnosing it but didn't figure out what is wrong with it?? Exactly what were you charged for, having a tech "hang out" with your car for 3 hours? The VSS is only $70 where I buy parts, not sure why it was so spendy.

I suppose downloading the RAVE and having a look at the ETM section would be the next step. Of course, the folks you paid to keep your car company should have already checked everything you will find in the ETM.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:41 PM
Drifting

Wise council to fix it myself....which is why I put the question out...where they said they had some new guy with ten years electronic experience yada yada yada...it was a transmission shop...they got no further than where I got...made a big deal about taking the cluster out and all...easy stuff...really...takes me about 5 minutes....they see a Rover and thing $$$ ...said they actually spent 5 hours in total messing with it.

Actyually this is the first truck I have ever owned that I pay to not have it fixed!

Old 02-25-2012, 08:44 PM
Drifting

Specifically on the circuit board where it read speed in and speed out....they told me there is a signal going in but there is no signal going out on the insturment clusters I have tried. And the instrument clusters do not respond to signals...it is a 1998 Disco.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:03 PM
Rock Crawling

I understand you are going by what you were told, but you first need to determine if there is actually signal coming out of the VSS for yourself. Once that has been determined you can check the wiring between the sensor and the cluster plug.

Don't take anything they told you for granted, they clearly were not capable of diagnosing this issue or they would have been able to fix it.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Fuse 14 under the dash. Here's pix of the board inside, can swap from another unit, or check for cracks and cold solder joints and resolder yourself.

Attached Thumbnails replaced vss etc...speedomter question-p1120338.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 02-25-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Drifting

The vehicle has a monstrous amount of changes associated with radio (aftermarket), alarm (aftermarket), inertia device removed (one near the window wash fluid). My question could it be something related to the "spider" inhibiting the speedo from working...SPEED OUT?

Old 02-26-2012, 12:14 PM
Rock Crawling

Your truck shouldn't have the spider.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Drifting

Great truck in the snow. Which is why I bought it. Thought I could have resolved the speedo issue by now...been three months. I had tried two other clusters to see and none solved it (doubt the circuit board being bad unless it is common to have cracked solder joints in same speedo board). No speed out from cluster which means that continuity must be disrupted on that leg of signal journey....must need full continuity to work I guess. I will have to trace speed out wire to see where it goes. Thanks ongoing for help...much appreciated.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Rock Crawling

What year is this truck anyway? If it's a DI the VSS provides a pulse of battery voltage/zero/battery voltage/zero etc 6 times for every revolution of the wheels. The signal goes through the buffer circuit in the cluster(smooths out the pulsing so you get a steady reading) and goes to the engine ECU, the cruise ECU, and the service reminder unit. The service reminder is a red box behind the passenger side kick panel and can be unplugged and thrown away with no ill effect.

Can't help you more if we don't know what we are looking at.

Quick Reply: replaced vss etc...speedomter question