General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replacing transmission pipes

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 07:13 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing transmission pipes

Hi all,
I will be changing my transmission line over the weekend and I am asking for some pointers. The line I am replacing is the lower left hand line that runs from the transmission to the radiator. Any suggestions would be met with much appreciation.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Unscrew it from each end, remove it from the truck.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:54 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spike555
Unscrew it from each end, remove it from the truck.
hope it is that easy

Old 06-15-2012, 08:54 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you have new "o" rings for both ends.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:35 PM
Drifting

Ok I started the job as soon as I could I got home for work. That was 17:40. I just got out of the shower after an 45 minute full body de-greasing. As i feared it was the line that is attached to the upper side of the tranny case. Here are the steps I have managed to fumble through;

1. I was able to get the fitting loose but, the fitting was much easier to break free than the actual hose fitting
A. Lesson here, use the 24mm on the hose nut and a 22mm on the fitting. The trick here is to secure the 22mm. The average sized almost ready for AARP 52 yo male's hands are so large you will never get both into the little gap between the tranny and the trans tunnel. I slipped the wrench on the fitting and used some 550 cord to secure box end to the crossmember.

2. After about 30 minutes of cussing Land Rovers everywhere I managed to get the old one off.
A. Lesson learned take a picture of the trucks underbelly, you will see why here in a few minutes.

3. Several attempts to place the new line was met with to date complete failure....Honestly, I will never talk bad about a dealership again. They earn the flat rate!

As far as the pictures of the underbelly...It will help in jogging the memory. I can't really remember how it was plumbed.

So, For tonight I give up. Perhaps when I get home from work tomorrow I will have a better time.

If you are following this so far I suggest you go ahead and plan on spending a couple of hours of washing the underbelly...It would help you get a grip on the line while I am attempting to wrestle the new line into place. have a few cans of brake cleaner around so you can spray off all the places you missed with the hose...

As with all things any input from you all would be appreciated..

Old 06-16-2012, 09:16 PM
Team Owner

Keep us posted, I'm watching this.
I have one trans cooler line on order, it will be in Tues. to be put on Tues night after work.
But it is the radiator to the cooler line so it should be easy.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Drifting
Default epilogue

Job done! whew now the lessons from the reassembly....

1. be sure you work space is clean and that you didn't leave any o rings laying around, saves any panic after you get everything back together.
2. no alcohol, I didn't partake during the evolution and for that I am happy.
3. next time pay someone else to do it!
4. the only way to get the line, pipe, hose, torture device or whatever you want to call it,routed correctly would be to drop the exhaust system so you can feed the line. As we know these drive units are assembled then dropped into the chassis they are not made to be worked on. I will post pics of my finished work, no it is not routed the way it is suppose to run, but honestly at that point I was sick of wrestling with it.
5 Be sure to clean under the underbelly really really well it pays off in the handling the new line and for cleaning you bod after the job is complete.

Conclusion....no it isn't the hardest thing i had to do but it sucked all the same.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Team Owner

So, in conclusion pay to have it done.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:54 AM
Drifting

yes,,,,,,,,

" a man should know his limitation" Clint Eastwood