General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Which Rover for offroading?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 06:32 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow, thanks for all the replies folks!

Living in New England my offroading consists of old trails, mainly logging trails, some old class 6 roads and lots of rock faces. I've done hardcore rock faces with my 98 Jeep Wrangler. I was bored with my Jeep after putting quite a bit of cash into it, it was great, but it was just another Jeep in the line of Jeeps on a trail.

I have my Samurai, with lots of lift, skids and toyota axles. It's on 34" tires now, and I've swapped in a VW diesel motor in it - I got what I thought I was after - something different. It's definitely that, HOWEVER. The first day I drove it, I knew this wasn't it. Samurai, while wildly capable have an exceptionally cheap feeling about everything with them. It was really fun to see how far my money could go with one, compared to the Jeep. It's like a 5:1 ratio for price point on just about EVERYTHING... Center skid plate - Jeep, $500 - Samurai $100, just to name one.

I dislike the really thin sheet metal. I dislike the fact the same tinfoil is used for the frame, so once there was a 6.5:1 transfer case it would just shred the tcase mounts on the frame...

The other thing is storage. I have two kiddos who really like to go out in the woods with me, so it's very common to NEED 4 seats. 4 Seats + recovery gear + tools + food quickly adds up to a very cramped truck. Forget spare axleshafts/diffs/etc!

Next up is my issue of Driving to the trail. My Jeep, I used to do that. Samurai? Not so much. I didn't really understand JUST how bad it was going to be on the highway... The wind currents from a large semi that push you on the highway - That same feeling happens with an F-150 passes you! Not very fun for a destination 2hrs away!

I do expect I will be disheartened with the ascent and descent angles of a D2. I expect it will get high centered easier, like any toyota or ford ranger. I think having the TON of storage area in the back will be insanely nice. I think having the ability to flip down 2 jumpseats and seat 7 in a pinch would be very cool.

I honestly enjoy exploration more than rock crawling. The last offroad run I went on - I didn't even try any of the obstacles - I just enjoyed the scenery and the trail, since I hadn't been there before. I've had more fun just taking a turn off the road and seeing where a trail goes than playing in any rock garden. I think I would really enjoy a D2.

I know for the trails I run, more clearance will be needed, so it'd get a lift pretty quickly. I have a friend with a 95 G-Wagen that comes out with us - he does very well and is a very similar platform. I'd buy one myself, but when he needs a hub, it's from across the pond. When he needs an ABS Sensor - it was $200 at the cheapest place he could find... I've done the comparisons for repairing the rover - some things are a TAD higher but well within my finances.

This truck I would expect would be able to drive to a trail, wheel for the day and drive home... Barring any special circumstances of course. It has to do no daily duty.

Dave

Old 01-15-2013, 06:41 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

You want a JK Unlimited, but the D2 looks more affordable. It isn't. The problem is you're looking at the prices of Discoveries that people are trying to dump, and the price on the JK is based on it being new and meeting current customer expectations.

If you give up the rock-crawling, you're better off with a 4Runner, a Land Cruiser or a Tacoma Crew Cab. They fit everything (people and gear), go anywhere a Disco II would, and they don't create any headaches.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Sadly, no. I don't want a JK with the minivan v6. I enjoy tinkering, I do all of my own repairs. The dealership will never touch ANY of my vehicles.

This would again go back to - something different. I've driven all sorts of toyotas - not my flavor. Jk is just the next "just like mine" Jeep nonsense.

I must admit I'm entertained by someone talking me out of a rover on a rover forum!!! If I was after that I'd go to a jeep or toyota forum!

Dave